Not Laying

Discussion in 'Quail' started by LeenaB, Jan 5, 2014.

1. LeenaB

LeenaB Out Of The Brooder

Nov 22, 2013
    I've had my quail now for a week 8 hens and 2 roos. One hen in the group is laying (I had to separate her and a roo out from the other two cages- so I know it's her that's laying). She generally lays an egg a day- didn't get one yesterday but got one today.

They're in my basement:
    overhead light on 14 hours
    temperature: 60-65 degrees constant
    fresh water constantly
    gamebird diet mix
    cages get cleaned every 12 hours

The thing is I know the others lay because when I brought them home 8 days ago there were 3 eggs in their carrier after an hour drive. And while I was settling everyone in the girl that's laying now laid right in front of me.

Everyone is eating well, and drinking water. I've tried giving them apples and lettuce but they didn't even touch it.

They're all growing back feathers that were lost before they came to me and their injuries are healing.

Ideas anyone?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    The hens that stopped laying did so because of the stress of moving to a new environment. Once they adjust and regrow their feathers they will resume laying.

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    X2

When birds get moved to a new home, they will generally stop laying for a few weeks. If they are molting, they may stop laying for another month or so. Give them time to adjust to their new digs, and they will get back to laying soon. :)

4. dc3085

dc3085 Chillin' With My Peeps

X10 its just stress or they are molting.

5. LeenaB

LeenaB Out Of The Brooder

Nov 22, 2013
    I discovered an egg today from one of my girls that hadn't been laying. Looks like they're getting comfy in their new home.

We're not in a molt right now, however they are regrowing feathers from being over bred and injuries they came with are healing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by