not leaving coop

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sheila3935, Nov 23, 2010.

1. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    Night before last my DD accidently locked one of our chickens in the shed instead of the coop. Yesterday after I let her out and so far today she wont leave the coop. She is eating drinking running around in the coop she will even come to the door but she wont go outside. I am thinking it scared her so that she is afraid she will be locked out of the coop again. Do you all think this is it or the begining of being sick?

2. nuchickontheblock

nuchickontheblock Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2010
    south portland, maine
    I'm no chicken psychologist, but I think you are right and she could be scared to be locked out again.
    Some posts say that chickens do respond to traumatic events with a change in behavior. Being locked in a strange place in the dark for a while would probably qualify as traumatic for her. I'd just go and talk with her and coax her out with a special treat. Might work.

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Yup, she's just scared, she'll calm down.

4. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    thank you all you were right I went out and gave them some warm mash as its cold out this morning and she came running out to eat it and has been out since then.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by