Not letting the newly hatched chick play any reindeer games..

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Meat Hunter, Jun 5, 2011.

1. Meat Hunter

Meat Hunter Out Of The Brooder

May 29, 2011
    Oh man, that was good title LOL.
    Upon looking for an answer to a question about introducing new chickens to an existing flock, I remembered something from a flock we had a few years back and thought I'd ask as I have not found the answer.

Like I said, a few years back, we had some very broody hens. A few of them managed to lay, hatch and raise chicks out in our hay field. The other hens would not let the chicks in the coop with momma? Why is that? They would chase these new arrivals all over the place until the chicks were of age where they could fly up into the bushes and that is where they hung out, even thru the night. I expect this next batch of chicks we got will go broody which is what I want, but would like to prevent this from happening again as all the chicks eventually were lost to predators.

2. luvinrunnin

luvinrunnin Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2011
    Separate the broody hen(s) from the others. That way the other hens can't bother her and the chicks.

3. Meat Hunter

Meat Hunter Out Of The Brooder

May 29, 2011
    Quote:Just separate them to their own coop? I guess yeah, that would be the way to go. Then what, move them into the main coop with some chicken wire separating them until the get used to each other?

4. NewToFarming

NewToFarming Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Millersburg, PA
    I have mine brood in the coop with the others. Some have been separated by using a dog crate and some have just been in the nests. For me, it allowed the others to keep knowing the moms and accept the chicks when they hatched. My momma's always the the others know not to mess with her or her babies! My leghorn just took hers off the nest and the first thing she did was tear into the head Roo to say, don't mess with me and he didn't! LOL But I have never had a problem with chicks in my flock. Even other chicks that have been bought elsewhere.

5. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    me either. I have mine in the coop too. I am always a bit nervous about the first chicks that hatch, and get rambunctous and wander a bit away while mama is still waiting on the other chicks. So for 24 hours, I lock my layers out in the run. It is nice out, and I have roosts in the run, and they will be fine. She should start hatching tomorrow.

But once the chicks are hatched and she starts moving around, I let mine out immediately. I have found that a little pressure on mama right away, makes her ferocious and she takes better care of them. I don't think you had a real strong mama hen, most are better than that.

MrsK

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by