not looking good....

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by 688peterl, Oct 12, 2009.

1. 688peterl

688peterl Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2009
    I know its only day 4 but i decided to candle my eggs early this morning and its not looking good at all...

1 of them has a big dark spot in the centre
    1 of them has a huuuuge air cell i mean huge
    1 of them has a crack! (which i didnt know about)

the incubator is annoying me too! when it turns the eggs it moves the posistion so most of them have the air cell lower than the pointy end and some of them dont even turn at all, i have to keep taking the lid off and fixing the eggs after every turn! surely this cant be good for the eggs!

anyway storeys guys to raising ducks tells me that i shouldnt throw any eggs away until im 100% sure they are infertile, which will be day 7 (thursday)

im feeling really discouraged about the whole thing now and il very disappointed if none hatch, the way things are looking now id be glad to have just 1 hatch!

Theres no way im giving up though, ive spent too much money on incubators and heatlamps and stuff to give up now, but if on friday when i candle them again none are fertile i will cry lol [​IMG]

2. DuckMamaorBust

DuckMamaorBust Out Of The Brooder

Sep 15, 2009
    Westford, MA
    Hang in there, every batch is a learning experience regardless of the number that hatches. If things don't go right with this batch folks here will help you figure it out and you can try again. However, I think you're going to do awesome. [​IMG]

3. eggybritches

eggybritches Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2009
    Central Florida
    Don't cry!

Even if these guys don't make it you can try again.

Were the eggs shipped? If so that could be some of your problem.

You're using the brinsea mini adv? Try turning the egg a different direction (ie If you had the pointed in facing in towards the center, turn it so it is facing out). That worked for me.

Don't be discouraged. I had two batches of quail eggs go bad before I decided to shell out the money for my brinsea, and I love it. Just keep trying, you'll get it before too long.

4. becky3086

becky3086 Crested Crazy

Oct 14, 2008
    Thomson, GA
    Just because your eggs don't develop, doesn't mean they aren't fertile. It just means they didn't have the right conditions to develop.

5. 688peterl

Oct 2, 2009
    Quote:yeah i do that i have some eggs pointing the opposite way than the others, the weird thing is that not all of the eggs turn all of the time if you get what i mean? like during 1 turn a couple of the eggs will stay in the posistion and not turn but during the next turn they will turn? confusing i know! i just so hope this works! i know i can keep trying but i am soooo impatient im only on day 3 1/2 (i set them at midday friday) and it feels like ive been waiting for weeks:lol:

6. eggybritches

eggybritches Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2009
    Central Florida
    Oh I know. Mine are due on Thursday and I feel like it's been forever now.

Give it time. Wait until day 7 and then you'll be able to tell if they're growing or not.

Also, do you have the shiny side up on the turning tray? If the shiny side isn't up the eggs won't turn correctly.

7. 688peterl

Oct 2, 2009
    Quote:yep shiny side up

8. the Old Rebel

the Old Rebel Rest in Peace -2011

May 12, 2007
    Hendersonville NC
    I could be wrong, but the one with the dark center could very well be a baby duck. The one with the huge air cell might have a baby in it as well. How bad is the crack?? You might want to take that one out. If it gets rotten, it could explode in your incubator.

However, you don't want to keep opening and closing your incubator. I know it is hard to be patient, but TRY to be patient. You don't want to keep having a fluctuating temperature and level of humidity.

Good luck to you. Keep us posted as to how it is going.

9. 688peterl

Oct 2, 2009
    Quote:you know how the manual says large eggs are best with their pointed ends to the edge of the disc? well all mine are pointing the other way because they have more space that way, have you hatched ducks in your mini advance?

10. 688peterl

Oct 2, 2009
    oh by the way i just candled the eggs again, 5 of them have blood vessels! should i remove the egg with the crack even if it is fertile? i can only see the crack when i use the egg candler il look again tomorrow (dont wanna disturb them again today) should i take it out?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by