Not looking hopeful for one of my babies.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Jynestia, Oct 15, 2015.

1. Jynestia

Jynestia Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2015
    One has looked troubled since it hatched. When it hatched it just laid around panting for way longer than the others. I was less energetic too when it did start walking around.

Not it can't stand or even roll over anymore. It is breathing slowly and shallow and it feels cold to the touch. I tried hand feeding it and moving it more directly under the light, but I'm not sure thays going to help. It does have some mess near it's vent but I thing thays because it laid down in a poop it's nest mate made rather that it having a runny poop. It's more on its belly than vent.

Is there anything else I can do to help? Does anyone have any idea whay might cause a chick to fail like this? I'm pretty sure it won't make it to the end of my shift at work today. It peeps weakly and throws it's head back like it's in terrible pain. It was only soothed a little when I held it against my chest for warmth.

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    I'm sorry to hear that you have a poorly chick :hugs

From what have you described it sounds like your chick could have mushy chick disease. This is an infection of the umbilical area that some chicks do get. I'm afraid this can be fatal for newly hatched chicks as you seem to be prepared for. Here is an article in this link all about it ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/mushy-chick-disease-yolk-sack-infection-omphalitis

It only takes a small amount of bacteria to get into the umbilical area for this to happen.

3. Jynestia

Mar 26, 2015
    Thanks! I read the thing and will try some of it when I get home.

Partner checked on it at lunch and it's still hanging in there. It's it now in quarantine and I made it a fluffy nest put of a wash rag and tucked it in since it cent cold. I put a heat light on it to keep it warm but shaded the box so it stayed dark and quiet.

My partner just cracked a fresh egg from the farm and fed it some of the yolk from a tube to help give it some stength.

When I get home I will clean it's naval.

I was going to mash some medicated chick feed with water until it was kind of soupy and add a drop of apple cider vinegar and hand feed it. Do you think that would help or be too much?

I also read about save-a-chick and I'll get that too.

4. Jynestia

Mar 26, 2015
    So the little one made it through the day. My partner decided that feeding it yolk from a fresh egg would help and did that twice. It did seem to help. By the time I got home it was able to try to evade me when I picked it up, but still very weakly.

I made a watered down mash to feed it. It was medicated chick feed soaked in save-a-chick and some more of the yolk mixed in. I squeezed in about 1/2 to 1 cc a drop at a time into its beak and it did swallow the runny mixture. By the end it had enough strength to turn it's head toward me for more and turn it's head away when it was done.

I cleaned it up an did notice redness and ickyness around where the yolk was, and the area is still open. I cleaned it well and applied some iodine.

I wrapped it back up in its washrag nest and put it back under the light. I got a few protest peeps out of it.

I still don't know if it will make it, but it's still fighting so I'll repeat all of this in the morning.

5. Jynestia

Mar 26, 2015
    Poor baby didn't make it. :(

Thanks

6. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    I'm sorry you have lost the chick :hugs

You did all you could, sometimes they are just not destined to make it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by