Not Looking Like Hens to me.....

Sugarskully

In the Brooder
Jul 5, 2016
Arkansas
Hey Everyone!

I am a little on the confused side of things.
I bought my first 6 Chickens for the love of chickens and eggs. I THOUGHT I got all hens BUT Only ONE even looks like a Hen. Does anyone know what Kind of chicks these are and if they look like Hens or Roos? I know the last pic is definitly a Hen :)....

What are my babies?? lol

Last edited:
Welcome to BYC,

I'll ask what others are sure to - how old are they? For curiosity sake - do you know what breeds they are? I really don't have any answers for you but maybe someone else will.

Lisa

ps what region of Arkansas? I'm from the western part of the state myself.

Thank you :)

They are approx 8-12 weeks. Not sure how old they were when I got them from no other then Atwoods. Where most first time buyers buy their chicks lol
I have No Idea what breeds they are. I just took the 6 that caught my eye, I wanted a varity, and by the looks of it, thats what I got hahaha.

Im hoping Someone can inform me as to what I picked out. cause like i said Im sooo confused except on my undeniable Orange Hen.

We are in the Quachita Mountains/ Central

I ended up with four cockerels from Atwoods this year. I bought six birds from them but only two are pullets. Of the four cockerels - three were banded as pullets. The other was a straight run bantam.

Well I think I've ended up the same as you. Sitting outside with them and my black and white one jumped up on the run and started trying to cockadoodle do! It was the CUTEST thing ever!!

Three of my birds have been crowing for a week now. I'm pretty sure a fourth has started. At least one of the birds started showing signs early - about 3 weeks if I remember right - and established himself as the dominant in the flock.

At the moment I think I've got 6 pullets and 12 cockerels - as well as one adult hen.

I enjoy listening to them crow but I wanted to increase my laying flock. So, I guess step one is cull most of the roosters so that I have space to either buy or raise more birds.

Hey Everyone!

I am a little on the confused side of things.
I bought my first 6 Chickens for the love of chickens and eggs. I THOUGHT I got all hens BUT Only ONE even looks like a Hen. Does anyone know what Kind of chicks these are and if they look like Hens or Roos? I know the last pic is definitly a Hen :)....

What are my babies?? lol

cockerel. Looks like a bantam, not sure on the breed.
cockerel. Is it bantam or large? Green legs and color make me think maybe EE, but those legs make me think game bird.
looks like a pullet, so far.
pullet, cockerels.
cockerel. I think he's an Egyptian Fayoumi.
pullet. again, not sure on the breed. Bantam?
pullet. She looks like a hatchery buff Orpington.

Oh you are Amazing! Thank you sooo much!!! Looks like I need to find 3 a good new home. And try again. I'd keep them all if I could bit don't want no fighting on my hands lol

You're welcome. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but that's how it goes sometimes.

The Fayoumi should be fairly easy to sell, they're cute and a pretty rare breed. The others, I"m not so sure about, but I've had weirder things happen.

Oh no don't be sorry at all, I've really enjoyed raising them from so young! But that one is the one I'm actually gonna keep. He was my first pick out of all 6 when I was choosing them, and he's the first one who crowed in front of me, (last night) so he's staying with momma. Although it will be hard to have to find the others homes, wish I could keep them all! Im so in love with all my birds, guineas and all. But thanks so much for your help! You're really appreciated!

Back
Top Bottom