Not Looking Like Hens to me.....

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Sugarskully, Jul 6, 2016.

1. Sugarskully

Sugarskully Just Hatched

Jul 5, 2016
    Arkansas
    Hey Everyone!

I am a little on the confused side of things.
    I bought my first 6 Chickens for the love of chickens and eggs. I THOUGHT I got all hens BUT Only ONE even looks like a Hen. Does anyone know what Kind of chicks these are and if they look like Hens or Roos? I know the last pic is definitly a Hen :)....

What are my babies?? lol

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 6, 2016
  2. ldawntaylor

ldawntaylor Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2015
    Arkansas
    Welcome to BYC,

I'll ask what others are sure to - how old are they? For curiosity sake - do you know what breeds they are? I really don't have any answers for you but maybe someone else will.

Lisa

ps what region of Arkansas? I'm from the western part of the state myself.

3. Sugarskully

Sugarskully Just Hatched

Jul 5, 2016
    Arkansas
    Thank you :)

They are approx 8-12 weeks. Not sure how old they were when I got them from no other then Atwoods. Where most first time buyers buy their chicks lol
    I have No Idea what breeds they are. I just took the 6 that caught my eye, I wanted a varity, and by the looks of it, thats what I got hahaha.

Im hoping Someone can inform me as to what I picked out. cause like i said Im sooo confused except on my undeniable Orange Hen.

We are in the Quachita Mountains/ Central

4. ldawntaylor

May 23, 2015
    Arkansas
    I ended up with four cockerels from Atwoods this year. I bought six birds from them but only two are pullets. Of the four cockerels - three were banded as pullets. The other was a straight run bantam.

5. Sugarskully

Sugarskully Just Hatched

Jul 5, 2016
    Arkansas
    Well I think I've ended up the same as you. Sitting outside with them and my black and white one jumped up on the run and started trying to cockadoodle do! It was the CUTEST thing ever!!

6. ldawntaylor

May 23, 2015
    Arkansas
    Three of my birds have been crowing for a week now. I'm pretty sure a fourth has started. At least one of the birds started showing signs early - about 3 weeks if I remember right - and established himself as the dominant in the flock.

At the moment I think I've got 6 pullets and 12 cockerels - as well as one adult hen.

I enjoy listening to them crow but I wanted to increase my laying flock. So, I guess step one is cull most of the roosters so that I have space to either buy or raise more birds.

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon

8. Sugarskully

Sugarskully Just Hatched

Jul 5, 2016
    Arkansas
    Oh you are Amazing! Thank you sooo much!!! Looks like I need to find 3 a good new home. And try again. I'd keep them all if I could bit don't want no fighting on my hands lol

9. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    You're welcome. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but that's how it goes sometimes.

The Fayoumi should be fairly easy to sell, they're cute and a pretty rare breed. The others, I"m not so sure about, but I've had weirder things happen.

10. Sugarskully

Sugarskully Just Hatched

Jul 5, 2016
    Arkansas
    Oh no don't be sorry at all, I've really enjoyed raising them from so young! But that one is the one I'm actually gonna keep. He was my first pick out of all 6 when I was choosing them, and he's the first one who crowed in front of me, (last night) so he's staying with momma. Although it will be hard to have to find the others homes, wish I could keep them all! Im so in love with all my birds, guineas and all. But thanks so much for your help! You're really appreciated!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by