Not looking too good. :( (PICS ADDED)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by MamaMarcy, Nov 28, 2011.

1. MamaMarcy

MamaMarcy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2011
    Snohomish, WA
    Well, we went into lockdown with 4 turkens. One hatched this morning as is beyond fluffed. It's almost day 25. So, I went to inspect the others and decided it was time to intervene. One is live, I got to it's beak and it's resting now (but able to breathe). One was dead...fully formed, yolk absorbed, but it's head seemed "off"...another I tried to get to his beak (just to PIP) and he was backward in the egg and drowned...otherwise was well formed with yolk absorbed. [​IMG] I'm hoping the one I PIP'd and has air will be ok.

All 4 passed the float test last night. [​IMG] I know the outcome probably wouldn't have been different has I helped earlier, it's just kinda sad.

They are EE/Cuckoo Maran NN mixes. So far one looks CM and the one who I pip'd looks EE. I just hope to end up with 2 so one isn't lonely. [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 28, 2011
  2. loupan

loupan Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2011
    newzealand
    [​IMG] so sorry must be awful when they are fully grown

3. RareBreedFancier

RareBreedFancier Surrounded by Broodies

Nov 5, 2010
    Australia :)
    I'm so sorry. [​IMG] I hope the second one hatches soon. [​IMG]

4. MamaMarcy

Aug 28, 2011
    Snohomish, WA
    2nd one is out and balder that the first, and a bit listless. One leg seems funny, hoping it's just from fatigue. i my need to put the 1st int he brooder so it leaves the 2nd alone.

5. RareBreedFancier

RareBreedFancier Surrounded by Broodies

Nov 5, 2010
    Australia :)
    Don't worry about the wonky leg on the new hatchling, it will most likely be fine after it rests a bit. [​IMG]

6. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Glad it hatched out ok. Maybe give it some Save-A-Chick vitamins and electrolytes.

7. franklinstreetwest

franklinstreetwest Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2010
    Urban Jungle
    I never remember hatching eggs being so frought with trouble.... childrens rose colored glasses I guess. I have had so many distressed hatches! The first incubator hatch I had, I was distressed that things were not going well, and I called my mother (I'm 32) to "share" and tell her I was just gonna help them along! She was insistent, along with a friend of mine similar in age and experience to my mother, that helping would result in weak and useless birds. Survival of the fittest and all. I don't remember thermometers and hygrometers in the stupid little incubator we "borrowed" from the county extension office. They always seemed to hatch without problems......sigh.....

Alas this is not how my current incubator works. I have to "help" things hatch at just the right time. Despite watching heat & humidity with care. I know other people do this by the hundreds and don't have problems, so it must be my error somehow. I outsource my incubation labor to my reliably broody hen right now. She can't sit large clutches, but she does a good job with what she gets. NEARLY ever egg I've done in a 'bator, I've had to help hatch. I'm beginning to think that if you should hatch eggs in an incubator that is made for the size of clutch you are incubating.... like a freezer is more efficient when it's full....

If you have 6 eggs to hatch, don't stick them in a 'bator built for 50 kinda logic...... I might be totally silly

Sorry to hear you are having a bad experience! You're not alone.

8. MamaMarcy

Aug 28, 2011
    Snohomish, WA
    2nd chick is fluffing and perking up. (yay!!) Hoping they will be joined in 2 days or so by 2 flock mixes from our yard. Here's the 2nd chick, fluffing nicely...and one of her next to already fluffed sibling.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. loupan

loupan Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2011
    newzealand
    sooooooo cute bless them

10. ladyomaha

ladyomaha Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 26, 2011
    Kansas
    That is so precious! I want one of those, Glad they are doing good, My duck is doing GREAT!!!!

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by