Not Molting, is it Insects?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by wefanjr, Apr 20, 2008.

1. wefanjr

wefanjr Out Of The Brooder

Jul 13, 2007
    MA
    I thought my girls were going through a molt, but too much time has passed and their feathers aren't growing back. Most of their rear ends and thighs are bare. I have put Insectrin dust all around the coup and nest boxes. What are the signs of mites and other bugs? I've looked closely at them and don't see any. Any ideas? i just bought a poultry insect spray I am going to try.

2. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator~~~ BYC Store Support Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    Can you post a pic? Do you have a rooster?

I had one hen that after her molt, didn't grow her feathers in for a long long time. I finally put a saddle on her because she was a favorite with my rooster and her feathers started growing in.

3. KrisRose

KrisRose Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2007
    Davison, MI.
    My neighbor's hen Shirley went through a molt that lasted a long time. Finally separated her and fed her extra protein and she feather out within a month.
    To look for bugs (mites, lice) check the vent area. I'm not much help but this will bump you back up.

4. wefanjr

Jul 13, 2007
    MA
    I don't have Rooster. I'll try to post a pic later if I can. I have a problem with feather eating also, but they usually target the rump for that. I have already been giving them black oil sunflower seeds. I am going to also try hanging lettuce in their run.

5. sgtmom52

sgtmom52 Birds & Bees

You might have a "feather picker" hen, esp if one of your girls looks better than the rest. I have 1 who looks beautiful and 5 who are all missing feathers from various parts of their bodies. Guess who is the guilty one! I have had some luck with feeding them Black Oil Sunflower seeds - the protein helps with the feather growth and it is supposed to contain a chemical that helps calm them making them less likely to feather pick.

6. wefanjr

Jul 13, 2007
    MA
    i tried duct tape on the missing rump feathers, but it just fell off. is there a trick to that?

7. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator~~~ BYC Store Support Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    You can toss a handful of dry cat food once a day as a treat. That will help up the protein.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by