NOT molting?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mammajen, Dec 6, 2016.

1. mammajen

mammajen New Egg

Nov 19, 2016
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hi there, has anyone seen chickens looking like this? I do not think this is simple molting, but as I am new with chickens, I could be wrong..

2. jcoz

jcoz Out Of The Brooder

Oct 26, 2016
    Erie, Pennsylvania
    Looks like moulting to me. New feathers growing in. I had a couple of my girls look way worse.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2016
  3. mammajen

mammajen New Egg

Nov 19, 2016
    Well, that certainly makes me feel better because it doesn't look pretty. No mites that I can tell. The rest just have messy feathers falling out everywhere. Additionally, they've been doing this atleast 4 months, but the woman at the Feed store says due to our weather (CT) they may extend their molting time.
    Thanks for your input

4. jcoz

jcoz Out Of The Brooder

Oct 26, 2016
    Erie, Pennsylvania
    Is she older (over a year old?). My pen looks like a pillow blew up. They generally moult/molt after a year or so when the days get shorter. I had one moult in june and have one that just grew back butt fuzz recently. You'll see them lose it in certain areas at a time, head, neck, back... but my one girl lost her tail first. Just watch if you're concerned. If you see the downy/fluffy feathers growing in or the pin/blood feathers (depending on who you are talking to), I wouldnt be concerned too much.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2016
  5. jcoz

jcoz Out Of The Brooder

Oct 26, 2016
    Erie, Pennsylvania
    Wait til you have a bird go broody. First time makes you crazy.[​IMG]

6. mammajen

mammajen New Egg

Nov 19, 2016
    Oh geez.. what does "go broody" mean? Like I said.. total novice here.
    And yes, the hens are 18-20 months old

Last edited: Dec 7, 2016
  7. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    When a hen goes broody, she just sits sort of trance like, all day and night. They hardly eat or drink.

8. jcoz

jcoz Out Of The Brooder

Oct 26, 2016
    Erie, Pennsylvania
    How's your chick doing? Feathering out? Hope all is well.

9. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    https://www.nutrenaworld.com/product/naturewise-feather-fixer-poultry-feed

Hi,
    Go get a bag of Nutrena Feather Fixer feed. Give it to all birds over 16 week sold. You will be astonished! at the quality of feathers that will grow back in. In addition the birds may continue to lay during the molt. This is great feed. My flock went into molt and other BYCer's were telling me about it. I thought what could it hurt? So tried it. Wow! The new set of feathers was just lovely! Everything they said it would do, it did!
    Best Regards,
    Karen

Last edited: Dec 30, 2016
  10. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Feather Fixer has the same level of calcium as layer feed and should not be fed to birds that aren't laying. Too much calcium can eventually kill birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by