1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Not moving, not pipping, or peeping... but still alive?? day 22

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by gameboygal12, May 21, 2011.

1. gameboygal12

gameboygal12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2010
    I'm using the dreaded "chick bator" right now. This incubator is out of whack and has been fluctuating temperatures like crazy. I have one egg in there. So far, No peeping, pipping. and I only saw it move by itself once. I candled it to see if it was dead, and it's still alive. I have a feeling something's wrong, like it's shrink wrapped and can't escape the egg or something. I'm going to give it today, and if it STILL doesn't hatch, should I help it by poking a hole in the air cell? please put your input!
    PS: It will officially be day 23 at 4:00 this evening.

Last edited: May 21, 2011
  2. LilyD

LilyD Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2011
    Bristol, VT
    I can totally feel your pain. I bought the chikbator as well and tried to hatch the quail eggs that came with it. Two of the four developed until maybe day 10 but then fried because the temp kept getting so hot in there and the humidity was all wonky. I would suggest getting a LG 9200 and then converting it to the forced air with their fan kit. I got that and it's working so much better. It's always spot on with the temp and humidity.

How is your baby doing?

3. lil crickett

lil crickett Out Of The Brooder

May 15, 2011
    We had a chick that was trying to hatch last week in the incubater and it couldn't get out. We peeled a tiny tiny bit off of the shell to see if that would help it get out. Still nothing - it was alive because we could see its beak but it just wasn't hatching. So after four days we finally helped it out of the shell and we are glad we did because it had its umbilical cord wrapped around its leg and head so it couldn't hatch. At first the chick couldn't do anything - not even straighten its body. But now it is healthy and happy. I don't know if this helps but it may give you something to consider...

4. chickenmadnessainmind

chickenmadnessainmind Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2011
    I had the exact same problem yesterday! [​IMG] only one egg was fertile out of 14. it was day 23 and only little movement!! i decided to pip a hole in the aircell. this as i found out latter was a bad idea, because he was not ready to hatch. if i left it he would have hatched today!
    Just do what you think is right but i would leave him be for 24hrs and let nature take it course..[​IMG]

5. mojomamma

mojomamma Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2011
    Alabama
    We are using the same bator, mine started peeping yesterday for the very first time day 23, before that absolutely nothing, 12 hours later, day 24 it hatched this morning!!!! My other 2 eggs nothing......I would wait and see for a little while longer. The chick that hatched this morning is really super healthy! So excited!!!

6. gameboygal12

gameboygal12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2010
    Quote:Same here! it's doing NOTHING!! I know it's alive though. Maybe this is common for this incubator... I THOUGHT I heard it peep once, but idk if it was my imagination or not. I'll be sure to keep y'all updated!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by