Not much hatching progress in 5 to 6 hrs, questions about hatching.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by minpinmama, Mar 16, 2012.

1. minpinmama

minpinmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2010
    I've read where it takes 6 to 12 hours and sometimes longer for a chick to totally hatch, this one started about 5 to 6 hrs ago, can see is beak in the little whole about the size of a half a dime. You can see his little beak opening and closing
    but he/she is not even peeping, making any noise, are they usually so quite when they are trying to break through?
    At what point do I need to worry? I've read you should not help, is there a point I may need to interviene?
    Pipping is toward the small end of the egg, not at it but nearer to it, is where they usually start coming through?
    How will I know if it's distressed?

2. Marty1876

Marty1876 Hi Everyone!

It can take up to a day, If your chick has pipped though, that is an excellent sign. He should start unzipping anytime.

What is your humidity? It should be about 70 %. If its less, he may be shrink wrapped.

If your gonna help, go steam up your bathroom first. Then, take egg in their quickly, and shut door. Very slowly take off tiny pieces of shell, going in a circle around the egg. If you encounter ANY blood, stop at once, and return to bator qucikly, for about an hour. Slowly proceed.

If he's not weak yet, I'd give him until 12-24 hours have passed.

This can take a few days with larger fowl. All very normal.

I suggest going to hatch day is today (always at home site, ususally a top 3 active one. Lots of wise folks there. I'm a duck lady, but I've hatched chickens. Got two varieties in bator now.

3. minpinmama

Dec 24, 2010
    It's a lone egg, one and only in the bator.
    He is not chirping and doesn't seem very vigorous, There is at one corner of the pipped area that looks like a tinge of blood
    is just under the shell, but it's so small and hardly can be see. I don't have a way to check humidity, need to get one of those things
    that monitor humidity. But there is water in the bators water holds.

4. chkinut

chkinut Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2010
    Leesburg, Ohio
    i could be wrong, but to me the lil' guy doesn't sound good. pipping towards the smaller end isn't normal. and if he's opening and closing his beak....like in a gasping fashion....that's not good. and he's not peeping. i would have to help him. but i'm sure i shouldn't. i understand why people say not to help. i just feel so darn bad for a struggling chick.

5. minpinmama

Dec 24, 2010
    What you're descibing is what he is doing, will go help him out

6. Marty1876

Marty1876 Hi Everyone!

Hows it going? Do you have a pic??

Go to the thread formally knowns as hatch day is today. theres excellent advice there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by