Not new to chickens, but it's been a while

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by deadendacres, Jan 28, 2015.

1. deadendacres

deadendacres Out Of The Brooder

Jan 28, 2015
    Indiana
    I grew up with lots of poultry. My father was a purist and we had chickens, turkeys, and guinea hens. Also water fowl, ducks and geese.

But honestly. That was 20yrs ago. I left home at 17. And I've never really left the life style, but have definitely been outta the game for a while. And I'm sure things have gotten easier and breeds have changed from our Ole banny's and reds.

Here's where things could get long. So hang in there or accept my apologies now.

We bought a small acreage first of this year and I'm currently working on clearing a forest, as at least half will be horse pasture.

We'll really that's who I am. And I'm gonna have questions, but also have old knowledge. Hopefully I can meet some new friends and it'll be great.

2. LRH97

LRH97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2013
    Southern Illinois
    [​IMG] Welcome and greetings from So. IL! We're here to help. Don't hesitate to ask questions. I would love to find out what breeds you decide to go with. Good luck with your project!

3. deadendacres

Jan 28, 2015
    Indiana
    Hopefully I'm doing this right. The whole forum thing.

What I've been looking at as far as what's available local, is jersey giants. I really like what I've read about them, but have never seen them in action. But the rural king has straight run in now. Among others.

What I'm thinking about for a flock would be giants mixed with Rhode Island reds and barred rocks. Probly 14ish total. Just what's easily available locally

I do want banny's (much to my daughters dismay) but I will wait on them till we are ready for show chickens.

Idk, we'd like eggs and meat, so this sounds like a good plan to start with.

4. LRH97

LRH97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2013
    Southern Illinois
    Those are some nice dual purpose breeds. All nice layers and all would make good table birds. Your area sounds similar to mine as far as what breeds are available. RK sells "assorted straight-run bantams." At, least that's what they call them here. Last year's assortment included Gold/Silver Sebrights, Mille Fleur D'uccles, and White Silkies. Whether that changes year by year, I don't know. Not a bad selection, but if you want rarer breeds (standards or bantam) online hatcheries are probably the easiest route. As far as the JGs, they're one of my favorites. I just have a thing for big chickens. They're just beautiful. They're gentle, calm (even most of the roos I've had have been pretty laid back), fair layers and I've had several hens that have been wonderful mothers. The only drawback is that if you get a JG hen that wants to hatch eggs, they can be a bit awkward and clumsy due to their large size (hence Jersey GIANT [​IMG]). If you're looking for a nice dual purpose breed, I believe you'll like them. [​IMG]

5. deadendacres

Jan 28, 2015
    Indiana
    I can get anything, but, my dad's banny's left a mark on me and they were a family tradition from way back. So I honestly don't know if I could ever find any I'd be happy with my daughter showing. Not to say we had anything good, but I loved them birds as a kid and showed well.

For right now, we are going for eggs and meat and I'm glad to hear that I'm still on the right track.

The jersey giants will be new to me, but, sound good.

We are still clearing the new property and it's gonna take time. But we can almost see it from where we live now lol.

6. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us! You have some very nice breeds in mind. Best of luck with your new venture and little farm!

7. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to our flock. I've had Black Jersey Giants at times in the past, and they are gentle giants. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck in getting your flock.

8. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member Project Manager

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] So glad you joined us. Good luck with selection of your flock. Your past experiences place you a step ahead of most of us relatively new to raising chickens.

9. ChickyChickens

ChickyChickens Chickening Around

May 24, 2014
    BYC? Epic <3
    My Coop
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Welcome to BYC!!! There are loads of members on here…so if you have ANY questions…just ASK!!!

Hope you have loads of fun and all your answers answered here on BYC the BEST CHICKEN KEEPING FORUM on EARTH!!

[​IMG][​IMG]

10. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by