Not only can turkeys fly...

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by HennyJenny, Jun 16, 2010.

1. HennyJenny

HennyJenny Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2009
    Bennington, NE
    they can swim! Kramer has decided in the last week to act like he's about 25 pounds bigger than he actually is. My current roo count is somewhere around 11 or 12 and he is busy managing and challenging all of them. Tonight he went running after one - started flapping his wings and accidently flew himself into the swimming pool - sure that he would drown - I jumped in after him - fully clothed - he paddled over to me like a little duck - he is currently drying under a heat lamp. I had no idea turkeys could swim!

[​IMG]

2. Maryallison

Maryallison Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    Fountain, Florida
    awwww! So cute! I would have thrown my DH in the pool to save my turkey--hehehe [​IMG]

3. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    They do really well until their feathers get soaked, then they sink like a stone.

Good save!

4. HennyJenny

HennyJenny Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2009
    Bennington, NE
    Good to know, Ivan. Next time I won't stand and watch and think how cute it is. It was not at all "cute" to the pool keeper [​IMG]

5. thaiturkey

thaiturkey Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2010
    Thailand
    Quote:Yes, you can't afford to hang around or go looking for the camera. We have been through this twice with the same hen who now seems to have learned her lesson.

6. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I wish someone would tell my turkeys that they can fly so I can quit putting them on the roosts every night! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by