not only do I know what breed, I dont know what sex!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ladeefire, Apr 11, 2009.

1. ladeefire

ladeefire Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    NH
    My Ideal order got kind of messed up... I am not surprised that my buff brahmas are actually buff rocks.
    in my order I was supposed to have 8 gold sex links, in stead i have 7 that look alike and 1 white one. I figured the gold sex links were going to stay gold but they are actually red... and maybe this one isnt a pullet?
    All of the other ones that look just like it, dont have giant combs and wattles. They have little tiny combs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They will be 4 weeks tomorrow.

2. pinkfeather

pinkfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2007
    CT
    That is a gold sex-link hen. The hens are gold/white and the roosters are white in that breed (I think).

Last edited: Apr 11, 2009
  3. ladeefire

Mar 30, 2009
    NH
    bah! so the white one might be a boy?

4. Old Rando

Old Rando Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    As already stated the reddish ones are Gold sex-link pullets and if the white one is a Gold sex-link then it is a rooster. Did you order Gold sex-link pullets? Your initial statement just mentions ordering Gold Sex-links. A Gold sex-link male is white at hatch and will remain so . Completely white not just some white. If you are calling the chick in the picture your "white" one then it is a pullet.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2009
  5. ladeefire

Mar 30, 2009
    NH
    Quote:Hi Rando,
    THe one in the picture is not white. I have another one that is white. This one in the picture just looked and acted way more "male" to me thats all, it has developed a comb and wattles that are HUGE compared to the others.

My order was wrong, I did order gold sex linked pullets. I also ordered 2 buff Brahma's and I got 2 Buff Rocks.
    I am just paranoid now!!

6. ella

ella Chillin' With My Peeps

It looks like a female gold sex link, here's my Ella to compare:

[​IMG]

They'll have varying degrees of white and red/gold and will look a little different from each other.

Males are yellow as chicks and mature mostly white with some black and red feathers mixed in.

The females tend to develop a little quicker than other breeds. So don't worry about the little comb and wattles. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by