Not panicking, but concerned. Should i help this chick?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by matt1898, Jan 29, 2014.

1. matt1898

matt1898 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2013
    Broadway, NC
    OK. I've got 5 that have pipped, 2 have hatched. 1 of those I'm gonna have to cull. However, I have one egg that s pipped last night, and has made some progress. The thing "odd" that I can tell is how the chick is positioned. It pipped through the air sac properly, but it looks like it has in a funky position with one foot partially sticking out along with its left eye and park of the beak.

[​IMG]

You can see that its toes are sticking out. When I am able to roll it over using a straw, I can see its eye and beak, it just looks cramped and is wiggling around but can't seem to get out. So should I wait? It pipped around 20 hours ago.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2014
  2. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    If it pipped 20 hours ago, I would carefully chip away some shell- you don't want to hit a blood vessel, it bleeds like crazy. I think 20 hours is long but not unheard of. When they pip, they have to reabsorb all the yolk and blood that's in the vessels inside the egg's wall. That chick might be in that egg the wrong way. Can you candle and maybe see where the beak is?

3. matt1898

Jan 24, 2013
    Broadway, NC
    I can see the beak and eye facing out. It can breath fine and I can see its left eye looking out at everything. Hard to describe, it has been knocked around by the little midget easter egger but is chirping quite loudly. It just seems that having the claws of one leg out has got it all pretzled up. I'm betting that if I simply removed a little bit of the shell where it can get that leg out, then it can decided what it wants to do. I've got another wyandotte doing exactly what the EE did last night. It has pipped on the upper side of its egg, and is just chilling for the time being. Breathing, but I've read that this is the quiet rest time that is need for the lungs to mature. That is what the EE did for hours last night and then, boom, she hatched right out.

The humidity is high right now, but if I were to remove the egg, should I go ahead and place a wet paper towel in there? And should I go ahead and get the EE out and into the bater. She hatched last night and is running around like crazy, just still a bit wet.

4. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I think I would be quick about it and get the egg out, chip a bit off and put it back. Yes you can put a wet paper towel sortof around the pip on the other egg. If that ee is playing soccer with the egg, you could take him out, but I would leave him in till he's dry. The others may pick on him if he's "different". Draping a wet paper towel around the pipped egg will stabilize it.
    If the foot is sticking out of the one egg, I would think the pip is over and he started zipping. So he may be ready.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2014
  5. matt1898

Jan 24, 2013
    Broadway, NC
    Ok. I very quickly removed the EE. I also quickly re-arranged the eggs to get a look as to what is happening. This is of one from last pipped last night that I am thinking I should also help.

[​IMG]

The beak is at the bottom pointing up and it is still chirping. As you can see it won't take much to help it finish, I'm just really nervous on messing this up since I've already lost one.
    This one pipped around the same time if not before the chick I mentioned in the previous post. So should I got ahead and finish the job on this one? Humidity is holding where it should be.

6. matt1898

Jan 24, 2013
    Broadway, NC
    Well. I went ahead and worked on the chick above. Removed a large amount of shell. NO blood vessels were seen. I didn't remove enough for her to be free without a little more effort on her part, but she isn't really constricted now. Kind of cute when she looked right up at me has I was removing some shell.

7. matt1898

Jan 24, 2013
    Broadway, NC
    Both chicks are now out and learning to walk. Didn't realize how drunk they appear when trying to move around. lol. Seems that they fling themselves from one corner to the next. Yolk was fully absorbed, no bloody vessels in the membrane at all.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by