Not pipped yet?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Ashleigh2904, Mar 19, 2013.

1. Ashleigh2904

Ashleigh2904 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 21, 2012
    My chick has been cheeping in his egg for about 72 hours. I am so scared he'll suffocated. Would it be terrible of me to make a little air whole in the air sack end and then put him back in the nest for mum to sit on?
    I dont know how many days chicks cheep before pipping an hatching as this is my first time.

Im probably goin to go outside and find hes hatched over night but please reply just incase!

2. Megan Amber

Megan Amber Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2013
    Sometimes my chicks peep up to three day's before hatching. I wouldn't try to pip for him. That would be to risky. Do you have it under a broody hen or in an incubator?

3. Ashleigh2904

Nov 21, 2012
    Broody hen. He was the only one cheeping but my broody has been stealing other chickens eggs so they're all incubating at different stages.
    Hes stopping cheeping now so I'm feeling pretty disappointed as I think he was the only one developing right.

4. Megan Amber

Mar 13, 2013
    I am sorry to hear that. Doesn't mean he didn't make it though. Give him some more time.

5. Ashleigh2904

Nov 21, 2012
    I just went to tuck my chickens in for bed and one of my eggs had pipped and there was cheeping! And mum agreed it sounded like more than one chick :D so happy now!

looks like hes broken the egg but not the white bit under it, is that normal or should I be doing something?

6. bugglesmommy

bugglesmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

7. Megan Amber

Mar 13, 2013
    That is good news!! I would let things go on naturally a little while longer. It should break through the white part within a few hours. Chick hatching is a very S L O W process!

8. bugglesmommy

bugglesmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

You're telling me! I had a chick take almost 30 hours to hatch last time!

9. Ashleigh2904

Nov 21, 2012
    Thank you so much for replying! I do really appreciate it, it has helped to have others to talk too. I'll go check before i go to bed in a couple more hours an see where we're at. I'll try an get a picture also for you all to see of the pipped egg and keep you updated :)

10. Megan Amber

Mar 13, 2013
    That would be perfect!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by