not reaccepted hen

Lbux

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 2, 2008
I had a hen that got bad frostbite, and it had to be kept inside for a while to regrow its comb. her comb is now fine, but when I tried to put her back with the other hens, they all attacked her. By the time I got her out she was bleeding on her wattle. right now she is in the barn, and I don't know what to do with her-if I just put her back in the coop, I don't think she'll live long enough for the other chickens to get used to her.

try putting her in at night when they are roosting. A lot of time in the morning they don't realize that she was ever gone. or put her in a cage like a rabbit cage in there coop. this way they can see her and get use to her then after about 3-4 days let her out and see if this makes a difference. With you just poping her in all of sudden they think they need to teach her the pecking order and they can get pretty mean doing this.
ggod luck maybe some one else can think of something.

Julie

I would put her in a wire cage large enough for her to move about and be comfortable for a few days with feed and water. Place the cage inside the coop with the main flock and let them get use to her again before attempting to let her loose with them. It reduces the bickering by quite a bit usually.

Does it matter what breed they are? If it does, they are all Rhode Island Reds (Not purebred - they came from Agway)

breed shouldn't matter. Some are more agressive(like RIR's), but when a new bird is introduced to a new flock(even if they used to be in that flock) they will show dominance or aggression.

julie

thanks for all the advice. I haven't tried it yet, but I hope it will work.

Last edited:
I have RIR's too. I agree with the other posts. Another suggestion that I have done, when you do let her in with the rest of the flock do it when they are ranging. Make sure you spread plenty of treats out. MY birds were more interested in the treats than the new birds.

Are some of your chickens more aggressive to her than others?

I have had the best luck by removing the attackers, and letting the "new" hen readjust for several days with more docile members of the flock, then when you add the "mean ones" back in, they are not so aggressive anymore, and the "new" hen has more confidence.

Back
Top Bottom