not ready for the Rooster

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Lurken Turken, Nov 19, 2010.

1. Lurken Turken

Lurken Turken Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2010
    Acampo
    Hello,

Got a 5 month old girl that is not doing well. I went out this morning and found her a bit off balance and kind of lethargic. As she was sort of laying there the roo was taking advantage of her. (I dont know how to put it nicely).

I went out at lunch time and gave her and the others a bit of scratch. She ate some and also got a drink of water. But still weak.

Dinner time I went out and she was laying on her side. Roo once again taking advantage of her.

I brought her in the house, put her in the box and have been feeding her scrambled eggs and water with electrolites and vitamins in it. She is not eating on her own but when put in her mouth she swollows it and seems happy.

Could have her encounters with the roo throw her in shock? I dont think she has ever laid an egg yet. And the roo has been good with the other girls.

She is a White Leghorn about 5 months old and kind of small for her age.

Thanks,
    Tracy

2. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    Seperate the roo from her and let her grow until she is big and strong like the other gals, then re-introduce them. Thats what I would do anyways

3. Lurken Turken

Jul 29, 2010
    Acampo
    Thanks chickie, but too late she just died.

When does a person get used to this? I love my chickens and treat them soooo good. Feed them well, with healthy treats and seems I am always fighting something. The colds and such I kind of understand. But what was this? Really?

I am tired of it and sad.

All I want is happy healthy chickens and eggs.

always, Tracy

4. SpeckledHills

SpeckledHills Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Idaho/Utah
    There are a lot of diseases and health problems that afflict chickens, it's true.
    And a roo can, unfortunately, be a pest when a hen isn't feeling well. But my guess is that the rooster's actions were just incidental, and not the cause of your hen's problem. I don't think a rooster can do anything that would cause a hen to die gradually in one day.
    I don't know if that makes you feel any better, but I'm very sorry one of your chickens died. [​IMG] You sound like you are very caring to them.

5. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Quote:Yup that.

I had a cockerel die of Fowl Cholera (had his body tested) he was just laying on his side in the mud and the other roo was taking advantage of the fact and kicking him while he was down. The roo didn't kill him though, no noticeable injuries on his body at all -- it was the infection that killed him, it got to his heart and he was dead in less than 24 hours. I'd say he died about 18 hours after I found him in the run, but there were no symptoms before that.
    It's a terrible thing about raising chickens, they are fairly tough when it comes to physical injury - I had a chick recover from a broken leg in about 10 days, but when they get an infection it kills them QUICK and without warning [​IMG] Not so much you can do, and it's not your fault either. [​IMG]

6. Lurken Turken

Jul 29, 2010
    Acampo
    Quote:Thanks, I really try and sometimes get frustrasted. I know that it sometimes happens but I really thought things was finally good in my coop. It has been about 2 months with out having to medicate anyone. And then this happens....

It will be ok and I will keep on keepin on for my chickens....

7. Lurken Turken

Jul 29, 2010
    Acampo
    Quote:Yup that.

I had a cockerel die of Fowl Cholera (had his body tested) he was just laying on his side in the mud and the other roo was taking advantage of the fact and kicking him while he was down. The roo didn't kill him though, no noticeable injuries on his body at all -- it was the infection that killed him, it got to his heart and he was dead in less than 24 hours. I'd say he died about 18 hours after I found him in the run, but there were no symptoms before that.
    It's a terrible thing about raising chickens, they are fairly tough when it comes to physical injury - I had a chick recover from a broken leg in about 10 days, but when they get an infection it kills them QUICK and without warning [​IMG] Not so much you can do, and it's not your fault either. [​IMG]

Thank you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by