NOT ready!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Rare Feathers Farm, Sep 22, 2008.

1. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

So this morning, when I woke up it was a nippy 37 degrees outside! It had “warmed up” to 43 by the time I left for work. About 10am, it started POURING rain. It’s rained on/off all day, today.

However, I just heard they have lowered the SNOW level to 2500’ for tonight with a freezing temperature advisory! ACKK! My poor tomatoes, cantaloupes & eggplants! Not to mention roses! Sighs. I’m just not ready for winter’s freezing temps, yet! According to the Farmer’s Almanac, it’s supposed to be a “catastrophic winter.” Whatever that means?

Looks like my Sultan & Light Brahma chicks will be leaving in the spare bedroom for quite some time—after they hatch, that is…and they’re not due until the first week of October…

2. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    [​IMG]
    I did the same thing yesterday!!! It dipped to 30F, and I haven't finished the coop yet!!! [​IMG]

Can you keep them in the garage? That's what I did last winter... [​IMG]

3. Rare Feathers Farm

Nope, not when we don't have one! We have several outbuildings, but not with electricity. I have heat lamps in the coop but it's already divided in half...and I don't want to put babies in with the juveniles. [​IMG]

4. Maddhatter

Maddhatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2007
    Port Orchard, WA
    I was hoping if I ignore the Fall and Winter that it might not happen. [​IMG]

5. Rare Feathers Farm

Well, I tried that--but it was 27 degrees last night! [​IMG] I think my horses grew 2 inches of fur overnight!

6. highmountainchick

highmountainchick Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2008
    I'm right there with you! We had snow on Labor day and I think I almost cried. Have tucked my garden in but i am still envious that you even got eggplant and lopes to grow in yours. Lucky girl.

7. Rare Feathers Farm

Yup, this was my first year with eggplants—I got six to ripen & about 10 more flowers. I tried to protect them last night, but I’m not sure if they made it. I got 5 ripe cantaloupes & my second cantaloupe plant was accidentally uprooted during weeding and I didn’t notice until the entire thing was dead. This was my first successful year with tomatoes. I have about 40 ripe ones that I’ll be making salsa with this weekend! Oh and as always, my squash & cucumbers did very well…my peppers didn’t, though…?

8. MagsC

MagsC Queen Of Clueless

Jul 27, 2008
    Minnesota
    I cant say I am ready for snow either...I want to have some autumn first!
    My chicks will probably have to be in a spare area of the house as well. Got the coop part figured out but havent winterized yet. Oh well, I dont mind, just have to go with whats going to work best right now.

9. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    just make them all some mittens and stocking caps![​IMG]

maybe train them to shovel snow?

10. Rare Feathers Farm

Quote:Well, I still have some in the 'bator. [​IMG] I'd like to think I'll get 100% hatch from the remaining eggs, which would make it around 10 chicks! I have an almost month old Salmon Fav (bantam) cockerel & four standard salmon favs that are almost a week old in their now...soon to be joined by some Light Brahmas & bantam sultans!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by