Not really an emergency but......

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by colowyo0809, May 23, 2010.

1. colowyo0809

colowyo0809 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2010
    Dacono, CO
    It could turn into one. Does anyone know anything about chicks and incense(sp)? I know cig smoke and household cleaners can kill parakeets, and I assume they do the same to chicks but I could be mistaken, but what about the incense? Is it harmful? Is there a problem? Am I going to kill them all?!!??!?! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] *ahem* sorry. I'm planning on putting the chicks outside for a little bit today so I can air out the bedroom and make it smell pretty, should I make sure the smoke is all cleared before I bring them back in? Thanks for your help!

2. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    Ive used incense inside with all my chicks and never had any issues .. i burn incense alot so maybe m,ine are jkust used to it

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I'd keep them out until all is clear.

4. Godsgrl

Godsgrl Ostrich wrangler

Aug 27, 2007
    at the zoo usually
    I've had to stop burning incense period, as it gives me headaches. I don't think I'd burn it around chicks. Just my thoughts on the subject. [​IMG]

5. colowyo0809

Apr 27, 2010
    Dacono, CO
    Thank you for your responses! Much appreciated! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. tammyd57

tammyd57 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Cigarette smoke kills parakeets? Shhh...don't tell mine, what they don't know won't hurt them. They live about 5 feet from my desk and both my hubby and I smoke. Both birds are about 4 years old. My grandma always kept a bunch and she smoked A LOT. Hers always lived to be 12-14 years old too. It doesn't seem to bother my parrot either and he is always about 2 feet from me, and I've had him for 23 years.
    I'm sorry, but I never heard of cigarette smoke killing parakeets. [​IMG]

7. colowyo0809

Apr 27, 2010
    Dacono, CO
    Quote:Cigarette smoke kills parakeets? Shhh...don't tell mine, what they don't know won't hurt them. They live about 5 feet from my desk and both my hubby and I smoke. Both birds are about 4 years old. My grandma always kept a bunch and she smoked A LOT. Hers always lived to be 12-14 years old too. It doesn't seem to bother my parrot either and he is always about 2 feet from me, and I've had him for 23 years.
    I'm sorry, but I never heard of cigarette smoke killing parakeets. [​IMG]

lol, maybe we just had sensitive birds, or maybe his grandmother is just really evil and her evilness smothered them :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by