Not really an emergency --- Is my chicken lazy or sick?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by tomstephens, May 27, 2008.

1. tomstephens

tomstephens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Charlotte NC
    1) What type of bird , age and weight.
    Polish, 4 months, about 5-6lbs
    2) What is the behavior, exactly.
    She sleeps all the time, tonight she wouldn't climb all the way to the top roost like normal, she stopped on a lower perch.
    In the last month or so she's generally seemed to become more lethargic. All of our other chickens are out and about later (7-7:30pm) she's started heading into the coop at around 6-6:30. And they spend less time sleeping/resting during the day than she does.

3) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
    Nothing

4) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
    No idea

5) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
    Normal feed and water...

6) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
    don't know for sure

7) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
    nothing

8 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
    um don't think this is applicable yet

9) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
    none

10) Describe the housing/bedding in use
    just hay for bedding

We checked her thoroughly for mites or anything out of the ordinary, but she looks great, her feathers still look very vibrant and clean. When she moves around she looks normal. She generally spends her time around the other chickens. Occaisionally she does have her mouth open when she's resting -- like she's panting... I'm not sure if she's just lazy, but she never used to be really. She's always been one of our more active chicks but lately she is just less active overall. Is this something I should be concerned about?

2. chcknrs

chcknrs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    Kelso, WA
    Separate her so you can check her poo, remove food when it's bedtime for the night and check in am to see if her crop is empty, open her mouth and look down her throat to check for worms, take stool sample to vet and get float test for worms/cocci. What do you consider 'normal' for feed? She should be getting starter until she starts to lay. Does she have access to grit? Did you check around the vent for mites?

3. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    Maybe a crop issue? I agree - separate her at night and see if the crop is large in the evening like it should be and then small in the morning.

Also would give you a chance to check poops, and feed/water intake.

Is she picked on? Maybe she's just not getting enough food??

4. tomstephens

May 23, 2008
    Charlotte NC
    I'm new to this whole chicken thing. Can you explain what the crop is exactly? I've been trying to find info on it but people seem to just talk about it because they all know what it is.

I can seperate her and see what happens. Yes she has access to grit, the feed is, just the feed I got when I get to the farm supply store and asked for feed. It's not the same starter feed we were giving them when they were very small ... is that what I should be giving them?

She doesn't get picked on, she used to be the one doing the picking on.

5. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    The crop is located to one side of the throat. (usually felt on the chicken's right side)

It is a sort of pre-stomach, where the food goes when they swallow, and it gets ground up and predigested there before moving on down the digestive tract.

In the morning it is usually very small - can't see it or feel it much. After they eat all day long, by evening it is usually bulging or in heavy feathered breeds, you can at least feel it.

Then by morning it should be small again after the food in it moves on down through the digestive system during the night.

If the crop isn't emptying during the night, that can indiciate a crop problem, like impaction or sour crop.

If it isn't full by night time, then your girl may not be getting enough to eat for whatever reason.

6. chcknrs

chcknrs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    Kelso, WA
    Layer feed contains too much calcium for growing chickens. They need to be on starter until they start to lay.

7. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

Unless it's really hot where you are, panting could also mean that she's in pain...

8. tomstephens

May 23, 2008
    Charlotte NC
    So I pulled my girl to the side and kept an eye on her and her poop. Everything seemed ok. Then I noticed that her crest was effectively blocking her eye sight and one of her eyes was closed all the time.

I gave her a little hair cut yesterday and now she seems as lively and chipper as ever. Yesterday she even RAN. It's the first time I've seen her run in 4-5 weeks.

So I guess she was just blind...didn't know this was an issue for polish before I bought them.

9. Faizan farooqi

Faizan farooqi New Egg

Dec 24, 2014
    Hi friends i am new here and my problem is my hen look too lazy from yesterday and my rooster is perfectly ok. Yesterday i put them in the cage for almost 5 hours but when i open the cage so my hen look so lazy and she is sleeping mostly and i have also changed the place because i have been shifted so please help me :( i dont want my chicken to die

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by