Not really emergency...rooster's earlobe torn after getting in fight

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by 77horses, Jan 3, 2010.

1. 77horses

77horses ◊The Spontaneous Pullet!◊

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    Help! I need advice on what to do about my RIR rooster; he got in a fight with one of our other roosters (my younger sister put them together, thinking they wouldn't get into a fight! [​IMG]) Now, his earlobe is torn and bleeding a lot, and his comb is blooding too. [​IMG] He's acting fine, so this isn't really a big emergency, but how can I stop the bleeding and what else can I do to help? His Red Star hens aren't pecking at it at all...they never do anyway, which I don't get, because I've heard that they like to peck at bright red things. [​IMG] Whenever one of the chickens get a minor injury, like a small comb injury, they never peck at it.

But anyway, I'm going to put some flour on it to help stop the bleeding. Is there anything else I can do for him?
    Thanks!

(LOL thanks...I can't believe I spelled "flour" as "flower" [​IMG] haha but thanks everyone! Marty is doing fine now. [​IMG] )

Last edited: Jan 10, 2010
  2. Terri O

Terri O Chillin' With My Peeps

As long as you stop the bleeding and nothing pecks at him he will be fine! Terri O

3. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    You can get quick stop from Tractor Supply. After you stop the bleeding he should be fine. I have also read someone putting flour on the wounds to stop the bleeding, but I do not know how good it works.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by