not really sure of the breed of this one...

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by mdunbar12, Oct 9, 2013.

1. mdunbar12

mdunbar12 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 10, 2013
    Central Massachusetts
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    She looks like a red sex link hen. They're known as great layers of nice sized brown eggs.

3. AK Baha

AK Baha Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2013
    Anchorage, Alaska.
    Sexlink AKA cinnamon queen.

4. AK Baha

Jul 10, 2013
    Anchorage, Alaska.
    I have one that just started laying about 2 weeks ago. She has been laying an egg a day.

5. AK Baha

Jul 10, 2013
    Anchorage, Alaska.
    Gold Sex Link
    What's in a name? A lot with this breed. It's not really a breed at all but a cross bred specifically so that males and females are different colors when they hatch. A match resulting in a hen somewhat like the one on the left starts with a red rooster (either a Rhode Island Red or a New Hampshire).
    Depending on the combination, the name changes. I think I'm getting Golden Comets. Here are the possibilities:
    White Plymouth Rock and a New Hampshire = Golden Comet.
    A Silver Laced Wyandotte and a New Hampshire = Cinnamon Queen
    Rhode Island White and Red = Red Sex Link
    Delaware and Production Red = Gold Sex Link
    And then some hatcheries call them Red Stars. Whew! Anyway you don't get more sex link chickens by breeding them together. To make more, you need to cross 2 different breeds from the list above.
    ALBC Status: NA since the breed is not recognized by the American Poultry Association.
    These chickens are prolific layers of large brown eggs. In fact, most of the brown eggs sold in the grocery market come from these hens.
    Feather color is golden to red with white feathers peaking through in the neck and tail. They have single combs, reddish brown eyes, and yellow legs.
    Male chicks are a soft light yellow while females are reddish in color.
    Considered a heavy breed, mature hens weigh between 4 and 6 pounds depending on breeding.

6. mdunbar12

mdunbar12 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 10, 2013
    Central Massachusetts
    very interesting! There seems to be a lot of things I need to learn!! From looking at all the pictures on here, I thought she might be a red sex link, but I wasn't sure, and I was really curious what the rest of you thought..so thanks!

7. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    She's a Red Sex-Link, also known as a Red Star, Gold Sex-Link, Golden Comet, and Cinnamon Queen. You'll get plenty of nice brown eggs out of her!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by