Not really what I want living under my deck. PIC

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by True Grit, Dec 29, 2010.

1. True Grit

True Grit Chillin' With My Peeps

I spotted this gal walking along the line of pines trees in the back yard and she then grabbed a piece of bread I had thrown out for the crows and ducked through the snow bank surrounding my deck. I wonder what the resident chipmunks will do. I also wonder how young skunks have to be so you can de-scent them, if she has kits or pups or whatever in the spring.
    [​IMG]

2. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays Premium Member

Oh what a pretty kitty [​IMG] What's that smell.... you smell somethin'?

Gotta be about three weeks old to safely de-scent..... and no, I won't help. [​IMG]

I will however feel real sorry for you after you do. [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 29, 2010
  3. StevenW.

StevenW. Lovin' My Quackers!

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    Quote:[​IMG] if its a kitty I must be getting very tired lol

4. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    I have smelled them near,but lucky to have not come across one.Hope you can get them out from the deck.My neighbor had a family of coons under his.

5. TigerLilly

TigerLilly I failed Chicken Math

Jul 18, 2010
    Central Florida
    Just hope it doesnt get "upset" before it moves on to greener pastures...[​IMG]

6. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Here we are infested with skunks! On more than one occasion I've been face to face with them when closing up the coop door. Slow and steady, slow and steady is the mantra you keep repeating in your head. They never go into coop just eating what the chickens have scratched out of feeder. There is one huge grandaddy about here too. Rarely see him but what a specimen! Long gray hairs and the size of a Jack Russell Terrier.

7. Baymule

Baymule Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Northeast Texas
    Just send the dog in after it to chase it out. [​IMG]

8. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    I had one of those move in under my deck last year. I trained a motion sensing spot light on her den. Each time she came out the light would flash on and blind her. She never sprayed and moved on after about a week. Thankfully!

Good luck with it.

9. SilverPhoenix

SilverPhoenix Bantam Fanatic

Dec 15, 2009
    Penn Valley, CA
    Good luck! For the record, though, skunks are fairly docile and usually cause no harm to anyone. I have tiny bantams and I've had a skunk in my coop a couple of times. All it did was eat an egg or two that was on the ground both times. [​IMG] It didn't even spray when I herded it out of the coop. Just be careful not to get sprayed!

Last edited: Dec 30, 2010
  10. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    we have lots of skunks around here, we've shot a few when they moved into the doghouse and they are awefully cute!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by