Not refrigerated eggs good for?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by SilkieCanada, Jun 6, 2011.

1. SilkieCanada

SilkieCanada Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    calgary
    I have some eggs that are 7 days old in my basement its about 57F degrees. Can I still eat them? They are fertilized.

2. perrym1962

perrym1962 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2007
    Eastview, Ky..
    I think so. I would eat them...

3. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Absolutely!

4. SilkieCanada

SilkieCanada Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    calgary
    So I could just do that water test right? floats its bad sinks its good? Could I leave it out for a few weeks too?

5. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    Being fertile doesn't affect the edibility or taste of an egg. However, if they're washed the shelf life is substantially reduced. Washed eggs kept in the refrigerator will actually absorb odors. I kept unwashed, unrefrigerated eggs at room temperature for over a month and they were perfectly fine.

6. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    We on this side of the pond often don't put eggs in the fridge. Supermarkets keep eggs out on the shelves unrefridgerated with a 'sell by- date about 3 weeks away.

Eggs out of the fridge usually keep 4-5 weeks (maybe more) in our 'not too warm' summers'.....we have temps in the 60's typically. In the States, some of you have REAL summers, so eggs won't keep as long, but at 57 degrees they should be absolutely fine.

7. BorderKelpie

BorderKelpie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2009
    outside Dallas
    If you are uncomfortable eating them, boil them and feed them to your dogs or chickens. Any egg over two weeks old at my house get hard boiled, that way I have 'pre-packaged' snacks for work. I give them as treats to the dogs, and my chickens LOVE them (just smush them a bit before feeding to your chickens). My dogs and chickens eat them shells and all - I prefer mine 'un-wrapped.' [​IMG]

8. Ariel301

Ariel301 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Kingman Arizona
    I regularly keep my eggs in a basket on the counter at room temperature for weeks at a time before eating them. (I have several roosters so the eggs are fertile) They will not develop into chicks unless they are kept at 98-100 degrees for a few days.

9. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    If you don't eat them I will [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    I regularly keep my eggs in a basket on the counter at room temperature for weeks at a time before eating them. (I have several roosters so the eggs are fertile)

Ditto! Same here!​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by