Not Refrigerating eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Anny, Sep 20, 2008.

1. Anny

Anny Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Detroit Michigan
    My grandpa told me once that fresh eggs don't need to be refrigerated...is that true? How long would they last out side o the fridge? He said as long as they are in a "cool" place they should be fine.

Can anyone clear it up, is he just making it up? or is it true?

2. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

An egg ages more in 1 day on the counter, than it does in 1 week in the fridge.

3. Anny

Apr 24, 2008
    Detroit Michigan
    He said something about the fridge dries out the eggs or something.

I was just wondering if he had any truth at all in what he was saying. How long could eggs stay good in a cool dark place that isn't the fridge.

4. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    We keep our eggs out on the counter if were planning on eating them within two weeks. I was told the taste is better if you never refrigerate them and SURE NUF! It's true. We haven't gotten sick yet [​IMG] We love those fresh no refrigerated eggs. BUT they do age faster, that is also true so only leave as many out as you plan on eating in a week or two's time.

5. Anny

Apr 24, 2008
    Detroit Michigan
    Thanks guys.

Is the whole humidity thing true, that eggs that are kept in high humidity last long?? Or if that made up?

6. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    We leave ours out on the counter. I plan on putting them in the fridge after a week or so, but they never last that long.

7. chickiebaby

chickiebaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    western mass
    Check Mother Earth News online for the totally impeccably scientific and amazing study they did on this. Eggs on counter are great for up to a month, unless its literally 105 degrees out. Never refrig ours at al. As usual, your Gramps turns out to be right!

8. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    Don't wash them if you want them to last.

9. Anny

Apr 24, 2008
    Detroit Michigan
    yea I never wash them, I only have to even wipe them off a little every once in a great while.

Since I don't eat eggs I don't really like to have them in the fridge, but I have a nice spot in the laundry room that's quiet, dark and cool. I was hoping I could store them there until I sell them/give them away to friend and family. I just wanted to make sure they didn't go bad before I sold them.

10. ScoobyRoo

ScoobyRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2008
    Land of OZ
    The 'Great Debate' to frig OR not to frig. I honestly don't know but when I was growing up my Grandpa was ALWAYS right! And I think to this day he still was![​IMG] So, my conclusion is listen to what Grandpa said.[​IMG]
    K

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by