We need your amazing chicken photos for our 2020 Calendar! Submit your pics HERE!

Not responding to Corid

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by arosenzweig, Jul 7, 2014.

1. arosenzweig

arosenzweig Chirping

May 25, 2014
    [​IMG]

Above is a photo of a poo from our baby Orpington chick named "Annie" from a few minutes ago.

This is what we know:

On Corid: 4.5 days

Corid dosage: 1.5 tsp in 1 gallon of water - do not know how much Annie drank. Yesterday evening started using syringe to give water every 2 hours and through the night.

This morning stool: light tan color, toothpaste consistency with some white caps (urine I think). It is not the healthy green with white caps.

Related deaths: She was one of three sisters we picked up at the same time and placed with an indoor Silkie that was a week or so older. Her two sisters are now dead. After first death we immediately started Corid in the water. Then on Saturday the 2nd died. They first stopped growing, then stopped eating, then got very sleepy and died.

Demeanor: Lethargic but mobile. Able to stand while sleeping. Quiet. Not making the “help me chirp” like her two sisters did. Not eating or drinking much.

This morning we tried making a “liquid mash” by heating water with Corid in it and mixing it with the starter feed. Had read in the forum that some chicks really go for that. Doesn’t seem to work for us though, they aren’t eating it.

Any other ideas? Possible it isn’t cocci? Should we try an antibiotic like Duramycin? Should we mix Corid and Duramycin powder together in their water? We're thinking maybe she wasn't drinking enough of the Corid water which is why we are now using an eye dropper / syringe to give her the medicated water now in addition to her drinking water. What do you guys think? That poo pic isn't normal is it?

Thank you

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    If you have the liquid Corid, you could give her a couple of drops several times a day to get it in her. If using the powder make some concentrated and syringe it to her. She needs to be treated longer than 5 days if she isn't responding. The poop looks like mucus from a sick bowel. The problem with coccidiosis is that they don't eat because their bellies hurt, and eventually they stop drinking.

3. 6of6chicks

6of6chicks Songster

Jun 9, 2014
    I couldn't get mine to eat on Corid either - and I tried everything people recommended. What finally got her to eat was sweet potato & a tiny bit of honey mixed with Corid water. The sweet potato was mashed & thinned to the consistency of watery baby food so that I was able to give it to her with the dropper. By that point I didn't care what she ate, just as long as something went down! It seemed to help rebound her a little and get her back into eating mode.

Good luck and I hope your little one makes it!

4. arosenzweig

arosenzweig Chirping

May 25, 2014
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

New poo, new pics. This is two photos of the same poo from two different angles. She made this poo while we fed her with an eye-dropper a mixture of sweet potato baby food with yogurt.

This looks "better" don't you think? Oh, poor thing is exhausted. Had to hold her beak open to feed her with the eye dropper. We didn't try to mix Corid into the food mixture. We'll try the corid water mixture in an hour.

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It looks a little more formed with less mucus. Is there any blood in it, or is it just the camera light? It may be hard to get it into her, but it sounds like you are really trying hard to save her. Any disease can build up resistance to medicines, so if the Corid still isn't working in a day or so, you could always try sulfadimethoxine. It just sounds to me like she wasn't taking enough of the Corid.

[​IMG]

6. arosenzweig

arosenzweig Chirping

May 25, 2014
    Thank you,

I looked online at Tractor Supply and Southern States. They don't have that antibiotic. I found an eBay link...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Durvet-Sulf...783?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43c7dd407f

It's 4:30 am... our baby died in my hands. We'll order that antibiotic and keep it on hand for possible use in the future. Feeding her by hand for over 24 hours just didn't do it with Corid. And it was in her sole source of drinking water for 5.5 days up until death.

Thank you all for your help. It is at least nice to know others have been there and offer help. It means a lot.

7. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    I'm sorry you lost your baby! It's so hard when we try our best and lose them anyway. For the future, I have had more luck with Sulmet than Corid. I know Corid is supposed to treat more strains of Cocci, but in my experience they have rebounded much faster with Sulmet.

Good luck in the future!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: