Not roosting yet

Lady Lionheart

Crowing
5 Years
Jun 16, 2018
Pueblo Colorado
My GLWs are 14 weeks 2 days old and have not started sleeping on the roosts yet. Last night I went outside and tried to put them up on them and most of them jumped off to sleep on the coop floor again. I really want to open up the nest boxes so they can start getting used to them but I have heard not to do that until they are roosting at night. Is there anything else I can do to make them start roosting?

A4C41E05-1390-4810-A193-83AF9A5BBBB7.jpeg
Here is a picture of my roosts. As you can see, they have no problem getting on them during the day..

I started putting mine on the roost at about 6-7 weeks old. It did take a little perseverance on my part, but I stuck to it and finally so did they. I did realize though that mine did better with the 2x4’s turned on the narrower side. That way they didn’t feel like they were standing on the ground and just try to walk off. Good luck.

I started putting mine on the roost at about 6-7 weeks old. It did take a little perseverance on my part, but I stuck to it and finally so did they. I did realize though that mine did better with the 2x4’s turned on the narrower side. That way they didn’t feel like they were standing on the ground and just try to walk off. Good luck.
Hmmm. I didn't think of that. I'll see if my husband will want to make some changes. Thank you very much!

Back
Top Bottom