Not roosting...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Smarcebird, Nov 6, 2011.

1. Smarcebird

Smarcebird Out Of The Brooder

Jul 18, 2011
    Durango, CO
    Hey all! I've got 8 girls and 1 roo. All are around 6 months old, all the hens are laying. Every night when I close up the coop, there are 3 or 4 that don't go on the roosts. Our coop is raised, about 4 ft, off the ground, fenced around the bottom with an attached run. They go up into the coop, but tend to sit on the floor. I've tried moving them up, but it lasts for about a minute, then they just go back to where they were. I don't care where they sleep....does it really matter if they just sleep on the floor?

2. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    I don't see why it would matter....they may get a bit of poop on them from any that do roost above them...

3. Smarcebird

Jul 18, 2011
    Durango, CO
    Was hoping for that response. Didn't THINK there was a real concern, but thought I'd check. Thanks JodyJo!

4. superchemicalgirl

superchemicalgirl HEN PECKED

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    It really doesn't matter as long as there's room for them up on the roost and they're choosing to sleep on the floor.

5. caspernc

caspernc Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Z town NC
    They may be too low in the pecking order. Try just putting a small 2x on the floor to see if they will sit on it. It is a thing birds are supposed to do.

6. Smarcebird

Jul 18, 2011
    Durango, CO
    Actually do have a 2x4 on the floor. Seems to be plenty of room on the roost. They are definitely on the bottom of the pecking order.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by