Not seen this before...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Brillig, Mar 17, 2017.

1. Brillig

Brillig Out Of The Brooder

May 20, 2016
    So, last night, I moved my four week old Blue Cochins to a larger brooder...I have a large tub brooder for newborns and eventually they get moved into different brooders until they can be integrated into the flock...These gals were quite happy in the newborn brooder and would roam freely throughout the brooder, but always chose to sleep directly under the light despite the fact that the temps under the light hovered around 95 degrees...

When I put them in the new brooder (which has mesh sides - unlike the tub) they immediately started to congregate at the furthest end (as far away from the heat lamp as possible)...They slept huddled in a small clump as far from the heat as they could get and stayed that way until I added the light from their old brooder to the end they were congregating at...Then they became active and more like themselves...I should add that the ambient temperature of the room is about 55 degrees and I was concerned that they had spent six or seven hours at that temp without using the heat lamp to keep warm, so that's why I put the second light in...

Today, I needed the second brooder light for some newborns, so I took it out of the larger brooder...The Cochins eventually moved to the far end of the brooder again where they are huddled for warmth instead of using the heat lamp...

Any ideas what's happening and how much danger they are in if they continue to resist the heat lamp in a 55 degree room???

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by