1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

not sexually mature

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 3dog5catsmith, Nov 7, 2015.

1. 3dog5catsmith

3dog5catsmith New Egg

Feb 4, 2015
    My 27 week old rir hen has not started laying she is not squatting her comb and wattles are underdeveloped and are not even pink.She is smaller than the others and they are all laying. What is wrong with her?
    Thank you for any ideas. She is eating and drinking, her stools are mostly liquid. She is not as active as the others.
    Please help she is so sweet.
    Could she just be a late bloomer or is something wrong?
    Has anyone had this problem?

Last edited: Nov 7, 2015
  2. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    She is probably just a RUNT. Just keep her and enjoy. If she is eating OK then don't have too many worries. Very likely wont be one of your top producers. Late bloomer now at 27 and no eggs. Most RIR lay at about 6 months, but mine waited past 7 if I recall correctly.
    You say that the others are laying well and steady. Were they all acquired at the same time ?? and how long have the others been laying ??

Your name caught my attention. That is exactly my number currently.

WISHING YOU BEST AND [​IMG]

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    That sounds like a problem. Did she ever have coccidiosis?
    Start a new thread in the Disease forum with the details of what she's eating and how long the liquid poops have been happening.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by