Not Sharing Treats?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 5Leepy!, Jul 24, 2011.

1. 5Leepy!

5Leepy! Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Is it normal for the head Hen to not let any other chickens get treats? Even if she's full and not eating any of them anymore? We have 11 week old pullets that are great about sharing everything amongst themselves but our Hens won't share at all. The top Hen won't let anyone have any treats, not even other hens. If she's not around, the other hens don't share with each other either... doesn't seem very family oriented, if you ask me. Just wondering if this is normal or not.

5Leepy!

2. Mtn Margie

Mtn Margie Overrun With Chickens

Apr 7, 2010
    CO Rockies - 8600ft up
    No, they usually don't share. You have to throw enough treats for everyone quickly, scattered about.

3. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

5Leepy! :

Is it normal for the head Hen to not let any other chickens get treats? Even if she's full and not eating any of them anymore? We have 11 week old pullets that are great about sharing everything amongst themselves but our Hens won't share at all. The top Hen won't let anyone have any treats, not even other hens. If she's not around, the other hens don't share with each other either... doesn't seem very family oriented, if you ask me. Just wondering if this is normal or not.

5Leepy!

Completely normal. Chickens are very selfish............Pop​

4. southerndesert

southerndesert B & M Chicken Ranch

Jun 17, 2011
    Morristown, AZ
    Quote:Completely normal. Chickens are very selfish............Pop

X-2 Chickens do not share or care.... For the most part, there are always exceptions.

5. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I like to think that it's NOT the norm...lol. All chickens are pretty grabby when it comes to food, especially scraps and treats, but I only have two that are somewhat food aggressive/possessive. Most of mine share really well. As a matter of fact, my lead hen will often act like a roo and pass along treats to the others.

6. LaceSocks

LaceSocks Out Of The Brooder

Feb 20, 2010
    What are some good treats for the hens???? I ask the feed store and they dont seem to have any idea...

7. 5Leepy!

5Leepy! Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Sometimes my top Hen is so busy chasing others away that she doesn't get any treats. lolololol

LaceSocks, if you go to the section titled "feeding and watering your flock" there is a sticky at the top... very first post... about treats for chickens. It's a whole chart of them.

Thanks for all the replies!
    5Leepy!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by