Not Sharing Treats?

5Leepy!

Chirping
8 Years
May 17, 2011
Austin, TX
Is it normal for the head Hen to not let any other chickens get treats? Even if she's full and not eating any of them anymore? We have 11 week old pullets that are great about sharing everything amongst themselves but our Hens won't share at all. The top Hen won't let anyone have any treats, not even other hens. If she's not around, the other hens don't share with each other either... doesn't seem very family oriented, if you ask me. Just wondering if this is normal or not.

5Leepy!

5Leepy! :

Is it normal for the head Hen to not let any other chickens get treats? Even if she's full and not eating any of them anymore? We have 11 week old pullets that are great about sharing everything amongst themselves but our Hens won't share at all. The top Hen won't let anyone have any treats, not even other hens. If she's not around, the other hens don't share with each other either... doesn't seem very family oriented, if you ask me. Just wondering if this is normal or not.

5Leepy!

Completely normal. Chickens are very selfish............Pop​

Quote:
Completely normal. Chickens are very selfish............Pop

X-2 Chickens do not share or care.... For the most part, there are always exceptions.

I like to think that it's NOT the norm...lol. All chickens are pretty grabby when it comes to food, especially scraps and treats, but I only have two that are somewhat food aggressive/possessive. Most of mine share really well. As a matter of fact, my lead hen will often act like a roo and pass along treats to the others.

What are some good treats for the hens???? I ask the feed store and they dont seem to have any idea...

Sometimes my top Hen is so busy chasing others away that she doesn't get any treats. lolololol

LaceSocks, if you go to the section titled "feeding and watering your flock" there is a sticky at the top... very first post... about treats for chickens. It's a whole chart of them.

Thanks for all the replies!
5Leepy!

Back
Top Bottom