1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Not shure what they r doing (pics)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Brianm97, Oct 13, 2009.

1. Brianm97

Brianm97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    Connecticut
    They r just rolling around is there a reason

[​IMG]

2. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    They are dust bathing! This is totally normal! Chickens do this to keep all of the buggies out of their feathers. [​IMG]

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    They are dustbathing. Looks like they are thoroughly enjoying your flower bed.

4. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

It's a dust bath!!

My cats take them too.

5. Brianm97

Brianm97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    Connecticut
    they were loving it it was so funny [​IMG]

6. louloubean

louloubean Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2009
    OC, NY
    my favorite part is when they stalk out on the lawn and shake all the dust out. looks like an exploding chicken!

7. Dixiedoodle

Dixiedoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    My girls look like " Pig-Pen" on Charlie Brown's Christmas story..... First time I saw my girls splade out on the ground I thought they were dead , even though I had been told about dust baths!!!!!

8. shaggy

shaggy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Orange, Texas
    Quote:reminds me of Andy Duphrane from Shawshank Redemption going out to the yard and emptying sand out of his pockets

9. wildorchid053

wildorchid053 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    syracuse area, ny
    they sure do love their dust baths.. first time i saw it i thought something was definately wrong.. the one hen to do it did it for about an hour . she was in a shallow hole and kept bending her neck and head funny.. had never seen this before so watched her intently. she was kicking up dirt then it struck me.. this must be her dust bath... when the other hen scooted her out of her hole she shook herself.. omg the dirt and dust!!!! she was filthy but very pleased with herself lol.. now they have made a circle in the run about 3' round and all 8 will lay and roll together..so funny to watch. grandaughter loves to help them by scruffing up the soil so there is lots of loose dirt lol

10. newchicksnducks

newchicksnducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Digging holes and hanging out - yep, they're dust bathing! It's fun to watch them on a sunny day. One will stretch out her wing and leg, point her toes...she's waiting for her closeup, Mr. Demill.[​IMG] I'm waiting for a suntanned egg!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by