not shure what to think

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by RonnieF, Aug 3, 2014.

1. RonnieF

RonnieF Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2014
    new castle Indiana
    OKay my hens are now 3 months old. I done 2 things that im not sure what the cause of death of one of my beautiful hens was.
    I let them outside with my 2 giness and 2 ducks. All has been fine for almost a week. This afternoon I noticed the hen under the nesting boxes just setting. I changed my water and fed the coupe Then went on with other work. I came in this eve to again freshn the water up and check on everyone when I noticed she was flopping under the boxes and I picked her up to calm her and she just closed her eyes and passed.

They are still on chick starter I was told to feed this until 4 months. The only other thing that was changed was there was a big water spill so I took a bag of un scented cat litter and poured it to soak up the water out of the floor.

The chicken had no bleeding sores no peck holes around the butt was clean not swollen or red great color

What did I do wrong here I understand this happens on farms and such just don't want it to happen again. I separated the guines and ducks and will be making them a house outside and building a fence in between. just in case. Thoughts wrongs I did?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would go and get the kitty litter out of there right away--bag it up and put it out of the chickens' reach. I'm not saying this was the cause of her death, but chickens will peck at anything, and this could have got in her throat or airway and expanded.

3. chooks4life

chooks4life Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    Whatever happened, don't beat yourself up about it, as animal keepers accidents will happen no matter how educated and knowledgeable you get. You can't cover every variable no matter how hard you try.

I think you're possibly onto something though, regarding the unscented cat litter --- what was it made of?

When introducing new things, even inedible things into caged chooks' areas, they will often taste test, and unlike free range raised chickens they lack commonsense about what to eat and what not to eat, and will often eat anything in the cage. It's pretty rare for young chooks raised in cages to have any understanding of what's safe. Young chooks often have to learn through trial and error and if you bought them from a caged environment, you can assume at least one out of every hundred will die once free ranged due to an error of choice regarding what to eat.

If you've not disposed of the corpse, and if you're up to it, an autopsy would help. I'd suspect it may be likely that the crop and perhaps stomach are full of cat litter, but it may be not the case.

Best wishes.

4. RonnieF

RonnieF Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2014
    new castle Indiana
    yeah I got it all out and spread some straw for now prob go to rural king tomorrow and get some pine shavings to look better. I buried her in the coupe already. Thanks

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Sorry for your loss. I have used Sweet PDZ in my coop before without problems, and it looks a lot like kitty litter. It is non-toxic and is used to keep things dry, such as on a poop board. I've actually heard of some people using kitty litter on a poop board, but that's probably not a good idea. Chickens can drop dead at any age, and sometimes it is hard to pinpoint the reason. Keeping an eye on their weight by picking them up occasionally, feeling the crop for impaction, worming on a regular basis depending on your area, looking at the skin and vent area for lic or mites, and noting their droppings and any lack of activity is about all you can do.

6. chooks4life

chooks4life Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    X2.

Also, just to make sure it gets done, if you have flighty chooks who don't allow you to handle them, feeling their chests, crops, abdomens and checking whatever else you need to is often easiest done on the perch at night. For this reason you need a coop that allows you access to their sleeping quarters easily.

I also really recommend spending time with them during the day whenever possible, even 30 minutes a day once or twice a week can help you spot many issues before they become incurable, and I'm also talking about social issues there. Some people dislike this idea since it sounds like more effort but there is absolutely no substitute for observation. Most chooks who drop dead 'without warning' are chooks nobody kept a close eye on, in reality there are usually warnings.

Best wishes.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  7. tridentk9

tridentk9 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2014
    Was it clumping cat litter?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by