Not sleeping in coop?

aimwad

Chirping
Dec 16, 2017
Carrollton, TX
Good morning!

I'm still new here and still very new to chickens. I live in the city so I have a very small flock - just 3 8 week olds. They've been in their coop/run for a couple weeks now. Every night I've had to move them into the coop area. They seem to prefer to huddle together in a corner of the run and sleep there. Since they don't have an older hen to show them the ways, I assume they don't know any better. What can I do to train them to go in every night on their own? I'm hoping to later on get one of those automatic doors, but with them not going in at night on their own, I don't want to waste my money on one.

And when can I expect them to use a roost? Currently there's just a 3 ft. bar about 6 inches off the coop floor.

Any and all idea appreciated! Thanks in advance!

When mine were that little, I definitely had to round them up and catch them one by one every night and put them in the coop and it was such a pain. Eventually they just got it and did it! I did a little happy dance. One trick I used was this. The inside of the coop is scary because it's darker than the outside. The door is just a big black hole into the scary unknown. I put a light in my coop. I would go out and turn it on close to sunset. You can just use a flashlight, no electricity needed, nothing fancy. Then I would walk away for 10-20 minutes. Often when I came back they'd be in the coop (at least some of them) and I'd lock the door behind them and turn off the light. They eventually started using the roosts on their own, but were definitely a bit older. I mad a little ramp up the roost, just a board leaning on it, and they would run up and down it and play on the roost (even if they didn't sleep on it), and they got used to it.

What breed are the chicks? Depending on the breed some breeds may never use a roost. Some may use the coop regularly then you’ll come out one day and they’ll be sitting outside. They will likely eventually learn to go in on their own may just take some time.

When mine were that little, I definitely had to round them up and catch them one by one every night and put them in the coop and it was such a pain. Eventually they just got it and did it! I did a little happy dance. One trick I used was this. The inside of the coop is scary because it's darker than the outside. The door is just a big black hole into the scary unknown. I put a light in my coop. I would go out and turn it on close to sunset. You can just use a flashlight, no electricity needed, nothing fancy. Then I would walk away for 10-20 minutes. Often when I came back they'd be in the coop (at least some of them) and I'd lock the door behind them and turn off the light. They eventually started using the roosts on their own, but were definitely a bit older. I mad a little ramp up the roost, just a board leaning on it, and they would run up and down it and play on the roost (even if they didn't sleep on it), and they got used to it.

Hmmm... that could be! Before being outside, I had them in a brooder with a red heat lamp on them full time in my garage. We had crazy cold temps at night. So I can see how they'd be weary of the dark.

What breed are the chicks? Depending on the breed some breeds may never use a roost. Some may use the coop regularly then you’ll come out one day and they’ll be sitting outside. They will likely eventually learn to go in on their own may just take some time.

I've got a RIR, black sex link and an Ameruacana. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom