Not Sleeping in the Coop

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Knittycat, Apr 3, 2011.

1. Knittycat

Knittycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Bay City, TX
    My chicks have been out in the coop for a week or so now, and have for the past several days been spending the day out in the run. The first day it was a bit of a challenge to get them to come out of the coop and down the ramp, but that was quickly overcome by scrambled eggs. They've had no problems going up and down the ramp during the day. I've kept their food and water in the coop to encourage them to go up the ramp from time to time. They have no problems with it.
    But I can't get them to go back into the coop in the evening. Ever since I let them into the run I've had to go out there at dark and chase them down and put them into their coop. Otherwise they'd huddle in the corner of the run under the coop. I've tried putting treats into the coop at night to get them to come in, but all it's done so far is pacify them once I've grabbed them and put them bodily into the coop. I'm not comfortable leaving them out of the coop overnight. The run is just fenced in with chicken wire. The coop is much more secure.
    How do I get them to go back into the coop at night by themselves?

Last edited: Apr 3, 2011
  2. nanawendy

nanawendy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Bellingham Wa
    Do you have a light in the coop. That could help them to find their way back in.

3. hennyannie

hennyannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    North Carolina
    I had this problem with mine even with the light in there, I really dont know how to help except we just put them up at night and they finaaly got it. Also the roosting pole we added went over well and some started going in onm their own.

4. CowgirlPenny

CowgirlPenny Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2011
    South East TN
    The first four days my chicks kept trying to sleep in the corner of their run. I had to actually go inside and carry them three at a time to the coop and toss them in,lol. Eventually they started going inside for nights and then I just go quickly shut the door before they see me coming. I let them back out again in the morning into their run.

5. emvickrey

emvickrey ChowDown Silkie Farm

Mar 5, 2009
    Hornbeak, Tennessee
    I had this problem also. they piled up at the farthest end of the run away from the coop. It didn't matter if it rained or stormed. When they free ranged they would go to the door that was open and pile up there and I would put each one inside the coop. They then would pile up just inside the coop door. I finally put a hen that would roost in there and put them up there with her. Eventually they all roosted on the perch. They needed the hen and a helping hand to learn. It took a couple of months before they graduated from sleeping in the rain to on the roost.

6. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    How long were they in the coop before you let them out? I think they reccomend at least a week.I kept mine in for a week and (it killed me) but they went in on their own by night 2.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by