Not sleeping on roosting bars, please help!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ktklages, Mar 18, 2013.

1. ktklages

ktklages Out Of The Brooder

Dec 15, 2012
    So my chickens moved out to the coop about 2 weeks ago and they're still not sleeping on their roosting poles. The first few nights they slept all huddled together in one of the nesting boxes, and I let them, thinking it was okay since they were scared. But now, it has gone on for too long! The past week, I've been going out after dark and physically placing them on the roosting bar. They stay there all night if I do that. However, I've been having to do this EVERY night and they're still not catching on. I have even gone as far as completely removing the nesting boxes, but now they're just huddling in the corner practically on top of one another. The roosting bar is a 2 x 4 and they don't seem to have any problem with it. It's not to high, so they can jump up on it easily and its the highest thing inside of the coop. Also, if it matters, they are 10 weeks old. I figured they should eventually figure it out on their own, but I keep hearing that it's bad for them to sleep where they nest. What should i do? Thanks!

2. 98cummins

98cummins Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2012
    Hinckley, ohio
    hi
    how high off the ground are the perches? post a picture of the in side of the coop if you can. I had the same problems with my birds they would not roost. I made the roosts higher with a ramp they could walk up to get to them and still had to put them up on it every night for about 2 weeks but they do it now.

3. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    I have some that slept on the floor for weeks, before deciding to use the roosts. I just let them figure it out.

Chris

4. BunkyB

BunkyB Chillin' With My Peeps

It could be kind of cold for mthem as well being younger birds. The huddle factor is common when youngins are cold. As already mentioned make sure your roosting bars are not too high up and yes, be persistant and set them on the roosts if you have to. They eventually will catch on. Sometimes you got to train yer chickens... Time will tell the tale... Steve

5. ktklages

Dec 15, 2012
    Thanks for all the advice! The coop has enough room in it for another roosting bar, so Ill add another one with a different height and see if they go for it on their own then. I guess I'm gonna have to start being so impatient and wait them out! I'm glad to see I'm not the only one experiencing this problem!

6. UnlabeledMama

UnlabeledMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2012
    Western North Carolina
    It took my chickens months to figure out the roosts were for sleeping and not just for playing!

7. Gallinaceous

Gallinaceous Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2013
    Outta the Woods
    I've had my chickens 6 months, they are a little less than a year old, and they STILL don't use the roosting bar. They just sleep in a little dog pile all on top of one another. It's quite cute, but I can't imagine it's very healthy for them. I've come to the conclusion that they just don't like their roosting bar or maybe it isn't placed in the right spot?!! I don't know, but I share your frustration. Unfortunately my coop doesn't have a set up that I can change this very easily, but I think I need to build a bigger one anyway. [​IMG]

8. ktklages

Dec 15, 2012
    I just can't imagine the dog pile being all that comfortable either, but they all seem to fight over who gets to be on the bottom!

9. Gallinaceous

Gallinaceous Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2013
    Outta the Woods
    My boss hen sleeps on the bottom and she's the smallest chicken. The other two, who are significantly bigger, pile on top on her. It's so weird! Maybe it keeps her warm?? Hopefully they'll knock it off when the weather warms up...Argg.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by