Not smart Silkies

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by atikin, Mar 8, 2012.

1. atikin

atikin Out Of The Brooder

Mar 5, 2012
    New Zealand
    Sorry wasn't quite sure where to put this but

Are silkies a bit dumber than other breeds?

Because my friend (only got her first chickens last year) has a young silkie 18weeksish and she tells me that it knows how to got out of then hen house but not back in so she has to put it in each night.And one night it was sitting on the lower pearch when it was raining and the rain came straight at it and it got soaked while then other hens were fine.

I have also seen my silkie cross 11weeks ish (has silkie fluff) been a bit dumb aswell.One night I went out in the rain to find it missing, I searched through thier run to find it soaked pearched up in a bush :D .And another day it was also pearched in a 1m tall prickly pumpkin vine in the vege garden.

Are silkies slighly thicker than other breeds or is it just ours?

2. we had chickens (not silkies) that when it was raining we put them in this nice little coop with water and food, they prefered to be in the rain, and would run out [​IMG] i think that just some chickens are dumb, and some are smart, i dont think it has to with the breed

3. oh and our silkies were NOT dumb, they were SMART

4. Meara

Meara Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2011
    Midwest
    [​IMG]

Hmmm It's not that they are dumb. They are just different. I know what you mean because my first Silkies struck me as dim witted. Some of their seemingly "dumb" behavior is because the poor things can't see well through their poofy crests. They are also quite docile and laid back. Think of them as the Bohemians of the chicken world [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 9, 2012
  5. atikin

atikin Out Of The Brooder

Mar 5, 2012
    New Zealand
    My friend silkie would keep on nooding its head on the ground and not even move any where really.So she trimed its fluff around its face and it headed straight towards the water and food for a drink and food after she would have to keep on puting food at its face

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by