Not so aggressive rooster breed(s)?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by StephensonC, Dec 4, 2014.

1. StephensonC

StephensonC Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2014
    Richmond, Va
    Is there a certain standard size breed of roosters that are known for not being overly aggressive? I have had bad luck with 2 now, one being a beautiful Cuckoo Orpington and now my Production Red seems to be turning on me also. My bantams are ok and kept separate, but I want to have a standard size for my 17 standard hens. Breed doesn't matter that much at this point, just don't want to constantly be watching my back, as I am very active with my chickens.

P.S. It's not a crowding issue, they have a very large area. We live on 55 acres.

2. KurtG

KurtG Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2014
    Maryland
    I had the best luck with Salmon Faverole. Some of the worst were the reds (R.I. & NH) and a mean as all get out Lakenvelder.

3. DianaMallory

DianaMallory Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2012
    Lancaster Ohio
    How are you raising your roosters. I find with most breeds of anything you have to be hands on to make them tame. Are you handling them on a regular basis? Have you tried any techniques with them to let them know who is boss? I have never owned one but I would stay away from Rhode Island Reds. From what I have been reading they tend to be very aggressive. And I believe the Production Reds are mixed with RIR. It isn't a space problem your probably dealing with it is a mating problem. Find out what your roos are trying to tell you.

4. spies04

spies04 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Minnesota
    I can only speak from my experience - we had a laced wyandotte and he was so mean. Would hide around the corners and attack. But both of my Rhode Island Reds were so nice and sweet. The difference was I got the LW when he was older with bad habits. Both RI were babies when I got them. So we did a lot of handling of them with a lot of social interaction. I believe in starting out young and developing "good manners" from the beginning helps tremendously - you may not completely eliminate the aggressions. I love having our rooster - he is great with his ladies and keeps track of his flock.

Honestly, I have more trouble with some hens attacking other hens.

Good luck!

5. Dandelioness

Dandelioness Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2014
    East Central MN
    We have a RIR rooster who is amazing. He was handled every day from chick age, though. He comes right up to us all the time an we often pick him up & pet him while walking around. He is a very good defender and lookout for the ladies as well. We are very strict about how we act around all the chickens, though. No chasing them, loud talking or sharp aggressive-seeming movement. We are in charge, though, not acting like we are afraid of the chickens, more like respecting them. I was very wary of him from adolescence to a little over a year, because people had told me the friendly-seeming chicks often grow into the most people-aggressive roosters. But he is 3 now and we have never had a problem with him.

We also try to do any coop maintenance when the birds are able to enter & exit the coop at will. It seems like this can be stressful to them, but at the same time they are curious.

I would not hesitate to cull an overly aggressive roo after a period of attempted "rehab," but I have not found it necessary.

We've had very well behaved leghorns, Easter egger, and Marans roos as well.

Maybe consider keeping an "attack journal" or think back to circumstances that could be changed when you get another roo.

All the best. We love our rooster! I hope you are able to find a good solution.

6. The Colonel

The Colonel Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2014
    Middle TN
    Get a Lakenvelder, in my honest opinion, my cousin has one that is the father of my Barnyard Mix flock leader (not used for breeding except project purposes). His is as gentle as can be, and even though mine is a mix he traited from his dad very well. Mine has a great demeanor overall and will mess up anything after his ladies, except my wife, kids, and I of course.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2014
  7. bantam sebright - absolutely aggressive - tried to kill me several times - just say no

I now have 2 BCM/EE crosses that are wonderful.

8. The Colonel

The Colonel Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2014
    Middle TN
    This ^^^ X2 I was extremely happy the day I got rid of my SSB. Never have another one again.

9. "little man complex" big time, right?

10. MeepBeep

MeepBeep Chillin' With My Peeps

All my 'Easter Egger' roos have great temperaments, they all put on quite a show with fluffed up feathers at each other quite regularly and it looks like all heck is going to break loose but vary rarely do they go beyond 'puffing up' and 'looking tough' with a little peck and chase to each other, they have also never shown any aggression towards me or the family... On the other hand I have a few Copper Maran based barnyard mixes that I have to keep an eye on as they will sometimes challenge me if I turn my back, they are going to be re-homed come spring just wanted to keep them around to get some olive eggers...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by