Not so aggressive roosters breed(s)?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by StephensonC, Dec 4, 2014.

1. StephensonC

StephensonC Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2014
    Richmond, Va
    Is there a certain standard size breed of roosters that are known for not being overly aggressive? I have had bad luck with 2 now, one being a beautiful Cuckoo Orpington and now my Production Red seems to be turning on me also. My bantams are ok and kept separate, but I want to have a standard size for my 17 standard hens. Breed doesn't matter that much at this point, just don't want to constantly be watching my back, as I am very active with my chickens.

P.S. It's not a crowding issue, they have a very large area. We live on 55 acres.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2014
  2. HighStreetCoop

HighStreetCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2014
    Oakland, CA
    My Coop
    Temperament is more about the individual bird (and its heritage) than about breed. Orps are usually very relaxed roos, but you got a nasty one. Best thing to do is get a roo from someone that can vouch for the temperament of the roo that sired it. It's not like there aren't a plethora of extra roos out there.

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Agree it's a very individual thing, but overall the big boys like standard Cochins, Brahmas and Giants are pretty even tempered. What are you wanting a rooster for?

4. StephensonC

StephensonC Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2014
    Richmond, Va
    I know, there are soooo many roosters out there, and I just had to get 2 bad ones. Next time, I will follow your advice, and be sure to verify his temperament. Thanks for that suggestion! I hadn't even thought of that. Duh me!!

I just feel my girls are safer when there's a rooster around. The ones that I've had, were excellent in protecting them, providing food and rounding them up and getting them inside when the hawks are around. We have a number of predator's here and have lost 2 guinea's recently. I also enjoy occasionally hatching some chicks in the incubator, so I would need a rooster for that. A lot of the old timer farmers around here don't mind a barnyard mix for egg layers, but whatever kind of rooster I get, I do want him to be a pure breed. It's interesting you mention the Giants. I like the way they look. I don't know much about them though. I think I will look further into that. I like the Cochin's too, but I worry about their leg and feet feathers. Are they hard to keep clean?

5. Matthew3590

Matthew3590 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Middle, TN
    My humble suggestion would be an American Gamefowl. He'll be gorgeous and a very good protector for all your hens. Several tricks to the trade in keeping fowl from becoming man fighters and the easiest one is limited contact during the molt. Chickens absolutely hate being touched while molting and it can mess them up psychologically.

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I dont' keep many feather footed birds, just cause I'm in a rainy climate and have mud issues. So, that's just going to depend on your situation. With that much free range area, you shouldn't have so much mud they can't stay clean.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by