Not so baby chicks. Is my brooder getting too small?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by cupman, May 19, 2011.

1. cupman

cupman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    Portland, OR
    I have 14 birds, which is actually a shock because for weeks I've been telling people I have 13 birds and I just counted them last night about 10 times and sure enough.. 14. Anyways, it's still a bit cold where I live so I've been dragging my feet on getting the girls outside into their coop. They're a little over 5 weeks old and they are sitting in a brooder that is 3x4 ft. It's looking a little cramped in there and I think this Saturday I will predator proof the heck out of the coop and then move them in. Is 12 square feet okay for now? I guess I'm just wondering if it's okay to wait a few more days or if this can pose some risk like them going crazy and killing each other. Anyways thank you.

2. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    i don't think a couple of days will hurt them. i generally keep my kids inside until they are 6-8 weeks. You'll see pecking and fighting if it's an issue.

3. carrlr

carrlr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2010
    Southern Illinois
    Funny you have 14 when you thought there were 13. I can't tell you how many times I've counted mine over and over to ensure they are all there. They don't like to stand still for too long. Seems a bit tight. I had 11 in my brooder which was about 3 x 3 and at just over three weeks they were getting a little cramped. Now they are enjoying a 8 x 3 brooder/chicken tractor which should last them until I mix them with my older girls. Are they in the brooder 24/7 or do you get them out for a little exercise in the day. That being said, I doubt a few days is going to pose any risk or threat. They generally seem to like to pile up anyway.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by