Not so hot tea??

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by FarmerGrant011, Dec 28, 2011.

1. FarmerGrant011

FarmerGrant011 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2011
    Sugar Land, TX
    Is it ok to give my birds tea?? I just thought it would be fun, since I have like a thousand bags of tea. The main type is Honey Vanilla Chamomile. I was wondering if it was ok for chickens? Or is there a certain type that is ok for them? Any help would be awesome!
    Grant

2. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    as long as its decaf tea it should be ok... I would still make sure they have access to water...

regular caffeinated tea is a diuretic and not good... (sorry getting this image of a chicken zooming through the yard like the road runner)

I only drink decaf tea and if I have a bit left in the pot i will pour it over oatmeal or what ever is in the chicken bowl

3. Me & Jack

Me & Jack Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    NC
    Hmmm...I would be a little leery, since it's possible that some of the plant material the tea is made from might be toxic to chickens. Then again, it's a great idea for cutting down on feed costs and wasted tea bags. Curious to know either way.

4. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    That's our favorite herb tea here. There's nothing in it that would be a problem for them. It's safe for chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by