Not so new person but new MEMBER....

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by JaTexas, Feb 1, 2013.

1. Greetings! Thanks in advance for the help, suggestions and for sharing your projects with me. I will do he same. I have some experience ranging from the 9 hens I raised as a boy of 10 in the 50's thru our family farm where we tend to dozens of birds daily, all free range and managing well.

My project as I back off my duties at the family farm (it is my sister's family ranch) my wife and me would like to raise a few (10 or less) in our rural back yard. My "plan" is to build a hen house and a critter resistant run of about 16' long by 8' wide with the house at one end. Our yard is cyclone fenced but since we do get some critters thru that fence we do not want to put our new livestock in harms way..thus the caged ground level run. I will be reading on the formula / suggestions as to how many hen boxes to have and if the run will accommodate 10 hens. I will make that decision after some more research on this site.

Thanks again and I am happy to be part of this site.

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Howdy from Kansas, JaTexas, and [​IMG]! Happy you joined our flock! Best of luck with your coop and run plans and have fun with those chickens!

3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] General guidelines are 4 sqf per chicken coop space, 10 sqf per chicken in the run and 1 nest box per 3-4 hens. Enjoy your chickens!

1 person likes this.
  4. Thanks. "Red" looks a bit too serious. LOL

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC, and good luck in dveloping a poultry raising program.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by