Not so new to chickens, but it's been awhile...

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by chart, Mar 6, 2013.

1. chart

chart Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2013
    Chino Valley, AZ.
    I first got chickens over 20 yrs. ago. For some reason 26 was the magic #. It didn't matter if I lost one or gave one away, someone would give me another. It stayed at 26 for more than 6 years. I was a cook by trade and saved scraps. Although they were free to have chicken feed at any time, they barely picked at it. The shells were so hard! My first rooster was given to me as an adult crippled in a box because it had been attacked by a dog. I have no idea what breed he was, but he was huge. He got better although he would take a step with his left, then shake his right leg around before moving on. He turned out to be incredibly sweet at all times. When he got older I knew I wanted his son to take his place. I took 4 eggs from a great R.I.Red I had and incubated them. Everyone thought I was nuts as they probably wouldn't all hatch. I'd say all I wanted was one rooster. And I got him. On Easter morning! The shell was so hard he couldn't get out. I help him and raised him on the kitchen bar until, to my ex-husbands chagrin, he was way bigger than he should have been. I took him outside with me everyday but he was afraid of the grass, the other chickens, etc... He was a definitely a Mama's boy. The transition to the coop is a rather long and funny story.

I have 7 chicks now and want more! This time I've experienced more loss than I ever had and am reluctant to do it right away, but it's killing me as they got new chicks this morning!I am currently raising LF Cochin, Orpington, Sicilian Buttercup. I'm pretty sure I won't be able to resist R.I. Reds and I'd love to find some naked necks.

Ahh... Just found the Turkens (naked necks) I wanted. Got three. A little problem at first. The other chicks want to peck that bare neck! But they seem to have lost interest now. Have to keep a good eye.

Research on internet brought me to BYC and I love it! I cook, garden, can... Jack of all trades, master of some.
    I live on and caretake a property in Chino Valley, AZ. (not so warm!) for a lady that does cat rescue. There are 4 semi-wild outside and one I have "tamed" inside. She hates everyone and all other beings, except for myself. I don't have the heart to give her away. You see, I'm a dog person... I do odd jobs. Paint, clean, small repair, dry wall, etc.. I'm an old lady so it's hard on me but the physical activity keeps me lean and mean. Love hearing all your stories and advice. Amazing how we know about so many things and chickens are still somewhat of a mystery.

"It's not the size of a dog in the fight. It's the size of the fight in the dog." Mark Twain

Last edited: Mar 6, 2013
  2. maidenwolfx80

maidenwolfx80 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2012
    missouri
    You have a lovely heart and a soul as strong as an ox. I love stories of patience and survival. It makes me feel like there are more out there that care about the individual and we need more of that. I have RA and fibromyalgia and it is hard to take care of things but we do it anyway. I love animals they are my therapy. Welcome to BYC you are more than welcome, maybe you can share your knowledge with all of us needing some. [​IMG]

3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] Lovely story of your rooster and your easter chick. It sounds like you will have no problem getting back to that magic #26 again [​IMG]

4. chart

chart Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2013
    Chino Valley, AZ.
    What wonderful welcomes! Yes, I'm an old story teller. Got some pretty good ones. I have pinched nerves in my neck and lower spine along with some fairly advanced osteoarthritis of all joints including the spine. I still got the get up and go, but I pay for it the next day or so. Animals are fantastic for your mental health. The rare occasions that I've been without a pet of some kind were pretty lonely even with people around! I feel I do have a pretty big heart. I've never eaten one of my chickens and the really crazy part is that I'm allergic to eggs! Thanks, I feel good.

5. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
  6. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

7. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC!! [​IMG] Glad you joined us!! [​IMG]

8. maidenwolfx80

maidenwolfx80 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2012
    missouri
    We all love stories and love to learn from others, share and browse there are some awesome stories on here.

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    welcome to the flock[​IMG]

10. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, chart, and [​IMG]! Happy to have you in our flock! You sound like you've had a rich and rewarding history with chickens! I'm also interested in learning more! Good luck to you and continue to enjoy your birds!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by