• Total voters

tnchickenut

It's all about the Dels!
9 Years
10 Years
Jan 24, 2010
Englewood, TN
And where are you?

I have only got two watermelons this year and zero cantelopes... I'm worried about my pumpkins. I have lost my honeybees!

So where are you and have you lost yours too?

I am going to answer without a vote, because I believe the loss of honey bees that occured a few years ago was global. I will refrain from further comment on that. If you would like to discuss this, please feel free to PM me.
big_smile.png

My views would certainly start an unwelcome debate.

we still have them around where i am in the south island of new zealand. friends of mine here had a hive in their backyard after hanging something from a tree for them to start one in last year. but not as many as there used to be i think. more wasps though. i seem to have to kill wasp nests about two out of three years around our suburban property. we had more bumblebees than honey bees last season gone, but they fertilised stuff so all good.

i'd like to be able to tick the "somewhere else in the world i forgot" option but probably can't seeing as we still have them. we're an easily forgotten about wee country which is just how i like it
cool.png

isn't there some virus or something that they get that is pretty nasty and around most of the world? i know we have all sorts of restrictions on importing bee products because they're worried about it coming here. think it's in the north island here but not the south. (though don't quote me on any of that ha i'm just going by memory)

ok, that was an odd remark.

we lost ours, we are in the south/mid-west, but it was a bear. we knew b/c of the steaming pile of bear poo left on the smashed hive.

Well I actually have more bees this year as I captured a swarm and are providing them with a hive right at one end of my garden.

I have a proublem with to many honey bees,every year they try and move into my walls,for years we had 1-4 hives in the walls.
we called exterminators and they would not spray them as they where a natural food source(so they said).No bee person would get them,i tried everyone so they would not be killed.
So to stop the kids from getting stung every winter (bees got lost in the walls and came out into the main part of the house)my husband will either gas them or bug bomb them to get them to leave.
Even if i don't see the european honey bees,the American bees and other polinators are doing a great job on my garden and they are everywhere.
There are approximately 4,000 native bee species in the United States,worldwide there are an estimated 20,000 species of bees.
http://www.attra.org/attra-pub/nativebee.html

I'm finally seeing a handful of them here. I've taken care not to step on any I see that are doing their bee duties, but it's been a while since they've been around. They are welcome here...well, I'm not keen on the property, but if a swarm shows, I have a list of numbers to call for keepers that will get them for free to rehome.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom