Not so scientific study - honeybees... who has lost them? POLL

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by tnchickenut, Jul 18, 2010.

1. Northeast USA

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Mid-Atlantic USA

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Southeastern USA

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Northern Plains USA

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Southern Plains USA

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Rockies USA

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Northwest USA

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Southwest USA

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Canada

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Mexico

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. Western Europe

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. Eastern Europe

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. Eastern Australia

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  14. Western Australia

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  15. Somewhere else in the world I failed to mention

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. tnchickenut

tnchickenut It's all about the Dels!

Jan 24, 2010
    Englewood, TN
    And where are you?

I have only got two watermelons this year and zero cantelopes... I'm worried about my pumpkins. I have lost my honeybees!

So where are you and have you lost yours too?

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I am going to answer without a vote, because I believe the loss of honey bees that occured a few years ago was global. I will refrain from further comment on that. If you would like to discuss this, please feel free to PM me. [​IMG]

My views would certainly start an unwelcome debate.

3. akaxo

akaxo Chillin' With My Peeps

we still have them around where i am in the south island of new zealand. friends of mine here had a hive in their backyard after hanging something from a tree for them to start one in last year. but not as many as there used to be i think. more wasps though. i seem to have to kill wasp nests about two out of three years around our suburban property. we had more bumblebees than honey bees last season gone, but they fertilised stuff so all good.

i'd like to be able to tick the "somewhere else in the world i forgot" option but probably can't seeing as we still have them. we're an easily forgotten about wee country which is just how i like it [​IMG]

isn't there some virus or something that they get that is pretty nasty and around most of the world? i know we have all sorts of restrictions on importing bee products because they're worried about it coming here. think it's in the north island here but not the south. (though don't quote me on any of that ha i'm just going by memory)

4. PureFluff

PureFluff Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2010
    Otis, ORE
    Sweet, less chance of me DYING from beestings.
    because i'm too idiotic to carry around an epipen to keep me alive

5. haTHOR

haTHOR Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Near Asheville, NC
    ok, that was an odd remark.

we lost ours, we are in the south/mid-west, but it was a bear. we knew b/c of the steaming pile of bear poo left on the smashed hive.

6. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Well I actually have more bees this year as I captured a swarm and are providing them with a hive right at one end of my garden.

7. patman75

patman75 Chillin' With My Peeps

They are in my yard.

8. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    no bees here.

9. pdsavage

pdsavage Sussex Monarch

Mar 27, 2008
    NW,Missouri
    I have a proublem with to many honey bees,every year they try and move into my walls,for years we had 1-4 hives in the walls.
    we called exterminators and they would not spray them as they where a natural food source(so they said).No bee person would get them,i tried everyone so they would not be killed.
    So to stop the kids from getting stung every winter (bees got lost in the walls and came out into the main part of the house)my husband will either gas them or bug bomb them to get them to leave.
    Even if i don't see the european honey bees,the American bees and other polinators are doing a great job on my garden and they are everywhere.
    There are approximately 4,000 native bee species in the United States,worldwide there are an estimated 20,000 species of bees.
    http://www.attra.org/attra-pub/nativebee.html

10. booker81

booker81 Redneck Tech Girl

Apr 18, 2010
    Mid-MI
    I'm finally seeing a handful of them here. I've taken care not to step on any I see that are doing their bee duties, but it's been a while since they've been around. They are welcome here...well, I'm not keen on the property, but if a swarm shows, I have a list of numbers to call for keepers that will get them for free to rehome. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by