Not so silver laced polish

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by scbatz33, Apr 28, 2009.

1. scbatz33

scbatz33 No Vacancy, Belfry Full

Jan 23, 2009
    South GA
    SO here is my question and I'm only asking because I couldn't find photo evidence anywhere.....Do silver laced polish go through an initial phase of not being laced? Does the true "lacing" show up with their adult feathers? after the fist molt? Or have I been sold a bill of goods?

My "silver laced polish" eggs hatched well. They looked right as young chicks. But now they are about a month old and they are not laced as I have seen in the photos of the parents they were supposedly from - nor any other SL bird for that matter.

They are black and white but they are literally about 50/50 in the coloring. There is no solid lacing. They have too much color to be mottled and too even a distribution to be splash.

I am sorry I have no photos, DD has the camera in NC right now. But believe you me, they are NOT SL at this point. I wonder if they ever will be. Does anyone have photos of chicks about this age so I can compare???

2. scbatz33

Jan 23, 2009
    South GA
    Yes, I am bumping myself - where are you polish people???

I mean Polish chicken raising people - you folks from Poland can go on about your business....unless you're from Poland and raise Polish chickens, then by all means HELP!!!

3. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    I don`t now about them, but I swore my sebrights were`nt laced`right till they finally grew in thir adult feathers.

4. Shared Acres

Shared Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2008
    Northeast Fla
    I just got a Silver laced Polish from someone else and as a chick doesn't look very laced.

5. scbatz33

Jan 23, 2009
    South GA
    Thanks guys...I was hoping that to be the case and not another eaby seller problem. My husband says he thinks they are cool regardless - and they are - but buyers want the real lacing when buying the birds. I had a gal change her mind once she saw them. I'm hoping they will feather out right as they get older!

6. Vcomb

Vcomb Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    South Dakota
    My Coop
    I wouldn't sweat it too much. I know my silvers used to be almost black with just a little lacing in the tail and flights but would eventually come out laced very nicely.

7. TennesseeTruly

TennesseeTruly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Church Hill, TN
    I can't help you with your silver laced polish but I know for a fact that the gold laced cochins that I was sold on ebay aren't ALL gold laced cochins because they're all different colors. Which really disappoints me because I really wanted the gold laced. Live and learn I guess.

Laurie

8. tellynpeep

tellynpeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2008
    SW New Hampshire
    Maybe post this in the Breeders section to get more responses?

9. txchickie

txchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    Texas
    I have 2 silver laced polish (10 weeks) and they aren't "laced" [​IMG] Kinda splashed and splatter painted looking, but not cuckoo. NO where laced.

Hopefully they'll turn out laced [​IMG]

10. scbatz33

Jan 23, 2009
    South GA
    Quote:That's a good description of how mine look.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by