Not so sure my Jersey Giant is actually a Jersey Giant....Help?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by LukeandAli, Jan 28, 2012.

1. LukeandAli

LukeandAli Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2011
    Carver, Oregon
    Long story short, we got our Jersey Giant and four of her friends from a family who was shutting down their 5-bird hen house and another chicken and a duck from another family who was doing the same thing. My question is this: Is it possible for my "Giant" to not be a JG at all?

She's pretty small in comparison to my ameracauna (she looks like a bantam next to her) and I'm pretty sure she's the smallest chicken we have. She's about 1.5 years old and lays regularly. Her feathers are solid black, but, she has a beautiful green sheen to her.

Is it possible that she is a JG, she's just a little small; or is it possible that she's a different breed that looks similar to a JG? I'm still pretty new at this, so, I appreciate the help with my newbie questions. [​IMG]

2. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

I have never seen a Jersey Giant that is smaller than an Ameraucana. Bottom of feet on Jersey Giants should be yellow. Maybe check that out. Do you have a picture?

3. ChickenWisperer

ChickenWisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    x2.

4. LukeandAli

LukeandAli Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2011
    Carver, Oregon
    I'll have to check her feet and post a pic. I don't have a close pic of her on my phone and I'm out and about right now. Any clue as to what she might be if she isn't a JG?

5. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    black assusturlop(sp)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by