1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Not sure, but I think my chickies may be eating their eggs.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chickies2, Aug 6, 2013.

1. Chickies2

Chickies2 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 29, 2013
    I have found evidence of a soft substance, egg shell color, leftover. They are laying 1 or 2 every other day. Why? They also scratch all the pine shavings away before they lay. I can't keep enough in there. Why? Thanks

2. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2013
    Check out this site, not the best source IMO but it seems like good advice: http://www.wikihow.com/Keep-Chickens-from-Eating-Their-Own-Eggs

1) Line the nesting box with something soft so the egg won't break.
    - If they keep scratching out the pine bedding then the egg might break as it hits the bottom of the nesting box.

2) Egg eating can occur when there is too much light or not enough litter in the box

3) Putting golf balls in the nest might help as well, the chickens will peck them and realize they won't break

3. Chickies2

Mar 29, 2013
    Excellent, thanks a bunch. I'll let you know how it works out.

4. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    I'm guessing that they're laying the occasionall shell-less or rubber egg. When this happens, they pounce on them like they're candy. Are you finding an empty membrane?

5. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2013
    Good please do! I've only done a bit of research but it appears that you have to nip it in the butt quickly or it might be impossible to break the habit. Wishing you the best!

6. Chickies2

Mar 29, 2013
    I think so. It appears like it's been chewed up and spit out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by