1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Not sure how to word this question...

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Kerryk, Feb 1, 2013.

1. Kerryk

Kerryk New Egg

Nov 17, 2012
    Port Orchard, WA
    My husband and I are new to the chicken raising thing. We placed an "order" with a local place, hoping to get 5 black stars and 5 red stars. Just heard from them that all of the black stars they hatched we're males. We went with sex links because we only want hens. So we have decided to get the red stars but are thinking about trying to find some black stars from another local source, if we can find one. My question is...do we have to get the chicks the same day in order to be able to put them in the brooder together? Or how much time do we have to be able to find some black stars? We are getting the red stars tomorrow morning.

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Generally you are okay to brood chicks together who are up to 3 weeks apart in age. You just have to keep an eye on them to make sure the larer birds don't pick on the littles. Be sure your brooder is large enough, and maybe put something in there to break up line of sight so the littles can hide behind it if they need to.

3. Kerryk

Kerryk New Egg

Nov 17, 2012
    Port Orchard, WA
    Thanks for the info. That helps a lot!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by