1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Not sure if 1st mite treatment worked

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by deacons, Jul 31, 2014.

1. deacons

deacons Songster

Oct 8, 2013
    New Hampshire
    Have read a ton of mite threads on here before treating my coop. One chicken has obvious signs (bald patch on back with some evidence around feather shafts) but the other 7 don't show obvious signs.

Around nesting box, I see oval shaped grey bugs-not sure if you can make them out in this pic (almost dead center):
    [​IMG]
    When I squish, they are blackish, not red.

So I cleaned coop well (including steam clean and dawn soap) then dusted with permethrin. Removed all shavings and all nesting materials. Dusted all birds even if they didn't have signs.

This morning, I still see 4 or 5 of these little grey bugs in the usual places. I also see a lot of ground pepper looking speckles along the roosting bar and on the back of the one hen that for sure has a problem. Does this seem like an effective outcome after the first night? Was going to wait 7 days to dust again but should I move that timeline up since there are definitely still bugs?

Last edited: Jul 31, 2014

2. What are you dusting the chickens with? If you have mites and lice on walls, roosts and in cracks in the hen house, you need to use something besides Dawn used for control.

3. deacons

deacons Songster

Oct 8, 2013
    New Hampshire
    I dusted the whole coop and the chickens with a permethrin poultry dust.

Dawn soap was just used for an initial wipe-down of the walls and roosting area.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by